We, the Flux CD maintainers, are excited to announce that we are joining forces with the Argo CD project to bring a unified GitOps experience. The Argo CD team, just like us, has been working very hard the past few years to simplify deployments and making ops straight-forward and obvious.
This move will pool more resources behind one project and one codebase as we solve problems and enable features just once. In the past couple of weeks engineers from Intuit and Weaveworks have been working on the first step of this journey: the Argo GitOps Engine. It brings together the best ideas of both our projects.
Furthermore, we now have proof-of-concept builds of Flux CD and Argo CD that are rebased on top the GitOps Engine. Here you can see how Flux will benefit from the GitOps engine: since it uses Kubernetes Informers to get information from the cluster, syncing will be more efficient. Expect more improvements and features to trickle into the next releases.
Eventually we will move all our code under the Argo umbrella. The future continuous deployment component will be called Argo Flux.
Everybody who has been watching the #gitops channel on Kubernetes Slack in the last months, saw “What shall I use? Argo or Flux?” come up regularly. We are very happy that answering this question will soon be a lot easier.
If you have been on the fence about GitOps and continuous delivery and waiting to see how things play out, now is a great time to get involved and to provide your feedback.
The announcement on the Weaveworks blog has more details. We will be available to answer any additional questions at the following events:
- At KubeCon and AWS Container Day:
- November 18, 5:30 - 7:00 pm: Office hours at AWS Container Day at KubeCon, San Diego: Hotel Wyndham San Diego Bayside (1355 N Harbor Dr, San Diego), Harborside Room (First floor).
- November 20, 4:30 - 5:30pm PT: KubeCon, San Diego - In front of the Lobby E Starbucks
- November 25, 9:00 - 10:00am: Slack AMA - Join us online in the Kubernetes Slack #gitops channel (get a Slack invite here)
- November 26, 10:00 - 11:00am PT: Weave Online User Group - Flux CD and Argo CD project session #1
- December 3, 10:00 - 11:00am PT: Weave Online User Group - Flux CD and Argo CD project session #2
Please also join us in our regular Argo Flux dev meetings. The first time we will meet Dec 3, 16:00 UTC.
This is a great day for the Flux CD and Argo CD projects! Together, we hope to advance GitOps even faster for the benefit of our combined community. Please join us in celebrating this important milestone.
Have a great day,
Your Flux CD maintainers