Kubernetes Weekly Community Meeting Notes

November 15, 2018

  • Moderators: Jorge Castro [SIG Contribex]
  • Note Taker: Solly Ross (SIG Autoscaling/Google)
  • [ 0:00 ]** Demo **–Pulumi - an OSS, k8s-native deployment orchestration engine [Alex Clemmer]
    • Link to slides
    • Link to repo
    • Pulumi: open-source tools for managing cloud infrastructure
      • Declare steady state (like Kubernetes) using programming languages like Python, Javascript, Typescript to manage the cloud repos
      • Declare desired “outputs” to be saved for easy access (e.g. Service IPs)
      • Schema is _exactly _kubernetes schema for Kubernetes types, etc (no special other format)
      • Knows how interact with deployments (has concept of updates, knows that it needs to rollout, wait for rollout to succeed, only delete old objects after)
    • Workflow for using something like RDS:
      • Without Pulumi: deploy using one tool (e.g. terraform), then fetch connection string into secret (maybe using something else), then use in kubernetes (e.g. deploy app via Helm)
      • With Pulumi: Declare steady state in code for everything
    • Live demo: deploy CosmosDB + Helm chart
      • Declare CosmosDB, exported connection string
      • Declare secret (using normal Kubernetes schema) with connection string
      • Declare Helm chart (deploying Bitnami Node.JS image) using secret to supply external DB
      • How it works:
        • Pulumi figures out dependencies automatically to figure out that CosmosDB needs to come before Secret, chart depends on secret
        • pulumi up will show a “plan” of operations + Kubernetes JSON, executes plan on confirmation
      • Can specify “stack outputs” to save from the objects generated, to fetch programmatically (e.g. IP of serving generated by Helm chart)
    • Question
      • How is schema generated, what happens to unknown attrs
        • Schema is generated via OpenAPI spec based on all available versions
  • [ 0:00 ]** Release Updates**
  • Patch Release Updates
    • v1.12.3 cut planned Monday, Nov 26th
    • V1.10.0 published earlier this week
  • [ 0:00 ] **Contributor Tip of the Week **[Jeffrey Sica]
    • cs.k8s.io – Search all repos in seconds
      • Can regex search across all Kubernetes repos and orgs
      • Automatically filters out certain types of files, but that can be configured
    • Check out the contributor cheatsheet for other shortcuts (PRs accepted!)
  • [ 0:00 ] SIG Updates
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:
    • Contributor Summit @ Kubecon

      • Shanghai: Great turn out! Lots of great pics on Twitter etc.
      • Seattle: Chairs and owners, if you haven’t confirmed we’re running out of time, please let us know. You do not need a ticket to kubecon/cnc for this. Email community@kubernetes.io
    • Kubecon US is SOLD OUT. If you register now you’ll be waitlisted. \

    • Community Meeting Schedule - there are no SIG updates for December.

      • 11/22 (Thanksgiving in the US) - Meeting is Still on, Ihor will be your host!
      • 12/6 - Release Retro for 1.13 (tentative!)
      • 12/13 - Kubecon, no community meeting
      • 12/20 and 12/27 - No community meetings
      • January: SIG Apps, SIG UI, SIG VMWare \
    • Steering committee not having meeting in one weeks, will have one just before Kubecon

      • SIGs: Please try to have your charters in by KubeCon
        • Each SIG has been given a steering committee member to review
        • reach out to steering committee if you have questions
    • Office Hours next week on YouTube:

      • See this for more information
      • Come answer questions about Kubernetes on a livestream!
  • [ 0:00] :clap: Shoutouts this week (Check in #shoutouts on slack) :clap:
    • paris - very big shoutout to @jberkus and the entire kubecon shanghai new contributor workshop team! josh built a team and carried out the event plan for this first time, sold out event in a new market to welcome contributors from this region. the event is in a few hours (from this timestamp) - best of luck and have a great time team!!
    • jberkus - TY! Let’s add all the names: @tpepper @puja @nabrahams @xiangpengzhao @idealhack & Megan Lehn & Jerry Zhang
    • neolit123 shoutout to @fabrizio.pandini for organizing the transition of phases in kubeadm to GA and also thank you to all the new kubeadm contributors who helped us with this work @yago @yuexiao wang @ereslibre @Rohit
    • spiffxp Shoutouts to @chenopis @zacharysarah and @bradtopol for organizing and running the docs translation sprint at kubecon Shanghai
    • Ivan Font @bentheelder and all others who worked on kind: I wanted to give a shout out for the work done to create kind. Nice work! I’ve experimented to get kind working with multiple clusters so that we can use it to test federation-v2 with multiple clusters for dev and CI and I’m very impressed with it so far! I filed a few issues #110, #111, #112, and #113 that I’ve stumbled across in the process of doing that, but it is not a reflection of the quality of work that’s been done here. Again, thanks for the awesome work! Thanks to @munnerz @neolit123 @Jorgealarcon @Lion-Wei @TaoBeier @amwat

November 29, 2018 - Last meeting of the year!

  • Moderators: Josh Berkus [SIG-Release]
  • Note Taker: Solly Ross [Google/SIG Autoscaling]
  • [ 0:00 ]** Demo **-- Docs Modeling Working Group Demo [Andrew Chen, @chenopsis, Dominik (dominik.tornow@sap.com)] (confirmed)
    • Link to slides
    • Modelling how we design and look at documentation
      • Idea:
        • Ideally, two people who look at the same system develop the same mental model
        • Looking a documentation, there may be encoding/decoding loss (writing/reading docs), which leads to different mental models
      • Fundamental Modeling Concepts
        • Approach to system modeling with formal models of system’s structure and behavior
        • Diagrams and formal models can help show whole-picture view
        • Show people how things work without needing to point people at actual source code
    • Issues with existing docs:
      • docs are task focused (good for on-demand “how do I” type questions), but can’t easily develop a coherent general picture
      • non-obvious behavior doesn’t match general mental model, docs should help fix that
    • Process:
      • Ongoing: Discuss models (in SIG Docs), Interview engineers, validate models, create source materiel (e.g. Medium posts) and get feedback
      • Eventually: fold back into to k8s.io (planned for next year)
  • [ 0:13 ]** Release Updates**
    • Current Release Development Cycle [Aish Sundar - Release Manager]
      • Code freeze for 1.13 is now lifted! Code thaw went into effect 11/28, 8pm PST.
      • Master is now open for 1.14 development.
      • Only the absolute most critically urgent bug fixes might be cherry picked back in time for 1.13.0.
      • 1.13-rc.2 slated to cut tomorrow, 11/30.
      • The release is on target for** Monday, 12/3/2018**, pending CI signal.
      • If you still have outstanding Docs PR or Release notes, please get -them in ASAP.
      • We’re targeting our release retrospective for next week’s Community Meeting on 12/6. Please add any comments you’d like included in discussion for things that worked well and things that should change in our 1.13 retrospective document.
    • Patch Release Updates
      • 1.12.3
      • 1.11.5
      • 1.10.11
  • [ 0:16 ] SIG Updates
  • Please drop a note in the community meetings doc, or reach out if you want to talk about a KEP in the community meetig
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:
    • Contributor Summit [Paris and Jorge]
      • **We are sold out/waitlisted - L A S T C A L L if you’re a SIG Chair, TL, or subproject owner **
      • Talks have been added to the community calendar, shortcut: http://bit.ly/kubernetes-summit
      • Check out #contributor-summit on slack
      • Event information
    • Community Meeting Schedule - there are no SIG updates for December.
      • Today is the last “normal” community meeting
      • 12/6 - Release Retro for 1.13 (tentative!)
      • 12/13 - Kubecon, no community meeting
      • 12/20 and 12/27 - No community meetings
      • January 1/3 : SIG Apps, SIG UI, SIG VMWare
    • Meet Our Contributors will be 5 December.
      • Steering Committee AMA @ 730a PT / 330pm UTC
      • Mentor panel @ 1pm PT / 9pm UTC
      • Be a mentor to hundreds with one hour of your time! Reach out to parispittman@google.com / “paris” on slack to get scheduled.
    • No k8s office hours this month - thanks to all the volunteers who helped make the program a success this year.
    • **:clap: **Shoutouts this week :clap:
      • Twitterverse shoutouts for our fearless 1.13 Release Team Lead, @AishSundar: https://twitter.com/stephenaugustus/status/1063610123149545472?s=19
      • Shoutout to @amerai for adding a search bar to Testgrid so that you don’t have to dig to find the right dashboard! https://testgrid.k8s.io/
      • to @mkimuram & @saad-ali & @msau42 for rapid response to multiple storage test issues with new features.
      • to @mrhohn for fast & insightful help with sig-network test failures
      • Huge shoutouts to the entire 1.13 Release leads and shadows for their stellar efforts at every stage throughout the cycle, enabling us to stabilize and hopefully land the release on time - @kacole2 @jberkus @cjwagner @dougm @nikopen @tfogo @marpaia @kbarnard10 @spiffxp @tpepper@aleksandram!
      • Special shoutout to contributors “technically” not on the release team, but have been instrumental in getting us unblocked at numerous points this release with their reviews, test fixes and test-infra support - @dims @liggitt @justinsb @cblecker @bentheelder @justaugustus (edited)
      • shoutout to you @AishSundar for keeping us all in line this whole cycle! you’ve been a totally awesome release lead.
      • Shoutout to @mrbobbytables for significally reducing my admin overhead for the New Contributor Workshop!

January 3rd, 2019 - recording

  • Moderators: Jorge Castro [SIG Contributor Experience]
  • Happy New Year!
  • Note Taker: Bob Killen [SIG Contributor Experience/University of Michigan]
  • [ 0:00 ]** Demo **-- OpenLab - Melvin Hillsman (mrhillsman@gmail.com) - OpenLab is curated infrastructure for open source testing https://openlabtesting.org
  • [ 0:00 ]** Release Updates**
    • Current Release Development Cycle [Aaron Crickenberger - Release Lead]
      • We are at Week 0 for v1.14, release team leads finalized
      • v1.14 schedule draft being reviewed by former release leads, current release lead shadows, sig release chairs
      • Aiming for kickoff next week, all release team shadows finalized by Friday Jan 11th
      • Modest proposal: to land in this release, you must have a KEP, even if you didn’t before, and that KEP must have a test plan, and an upgrade/downgrade plan
        • will be discussed at length during next week’s sig-arch meeting
    • Patch Release Updates
      • discussion ongoing on setting up a schedule for patch releases
  • [ 0:00 ] SIG Updates
    • SIG Leads, check out this set of recommended topics to cover during your update
    • Slide template if you need it
    • Please also check the SIG Update Schedule!
    • SIG Autoscaling, Networking, and PM due next week!
    • SIG Apps [Matt Farina] (confirmed)
      • Slides
      • Last Cycle
        • Charter completed and merged
        • Figured out needs to make CronJobs GA
        • Started work on Portable Service Definitions
        • Work on Application Controller
      • Upcoming Cycle
        • Looking for lead on CronJob GA
        • Begin work on Portable Service Definitions
        • Application Controller Status
        • Deprecation of Beta APIs
      • CronJobs to GA
        • Currently still batch/v1beta1
        • Has scalability issues
        • Controller needs to be rewritten
        • Looking for contributors
      • Portable Service Definitions
        • [insert kep link here]
        • enable an application to be deployed into multiple environments while relying on external services
        • Will be built on CRDs + controllers
        • Looking to solve some UX consistency issues
        • Looking for contributors
      • Application Controller Status
        • Bubble up application deployment rollup status
        • How to get status for multiple components of an application
      • Deprecation of Beta APIs
        • Continue to support beta APIs, despite “formal” deprecation some time ago
        • Turn off in 1.15 with optional flag to re-enable.
      • How to Contribute
        • Lots of opportunities with CronJobs etc
    • SIG UI [Jeffrey Sica] (confirmed)
      • Slides
      • Last Cycle
        • Finished and merged SIG-UI charter
        • 2 releases including fix for CVE-2018-18264
        • Metrics server support
        • Angular Migration branch merged to master (entire front-end rewrite)
          • versioning schema will change for future releases
        • Annual Survey of dashboard users
      • Upcoming Cycle
        • Formalize metrics server support
          • Current solution is stop-gap
          • Will support prometheus and other sinks in the future
        • Versions will now be 2.x.x
        • Better OAuth support
      • How can you contribute
        • looking for help with metrics
    • SIG VMWare [Steve Wong] (confirmed)
      • Slides
      • Last Cycle
        • External vSphere Cloud Provider [alpha]
        • CSI provider for vSphere
        • Cluster API provider for vSphere
      • Upcoming Cycle
        • Bring external vSphere Cloud Provider to stable release status
        • Bring CSI provider for vSphere to stable release status
        • Cluster API provider for vSphere
          • improve e2e tests
      • Working to provide licenses for Fusion/Workstation to support minikube CI/CD
      • If there are any licensing issues when working with commercial VMware components, reach out for license and support help
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:

January 10, 2019

  • Moderators: Josh Berkus [SIG-Release]
  • Note Taker: Solly Ross [Google]
  • [ 0:00 ]** Demo **-- Krew: kubectl plugin manager [Ahmet Alp Balkan, @ahmetb] (confirmed)
    • Link to repository
    • Link to slides
    • Kubectl plugins are stable as of 1.12 – can extend kubectl by adding new commands with kubectl-foo binaries
      • e.g . bespoke commands for workflow or extensions
    • Krew – like homebrew (brew) for kubectl
      • Easy way to discover/install plugins, keep up to date
      • Is plugin itself (kubectl krew install/upgrade/remove)
      • Can easily package for multiple platforms (windows, linux, osx) – just write manifest pointing at hosting location and files
      • Doesn’t support:
        • External dependencies (e.g. python)
        • Version skew
        • Security scanning
    • Plugin index
      • Centralized in YAML file for the moment
      • 3rd-party package index support in the works
  • [ 0:12 ]** Release Updates**
  • [ 0:21 ] **Contributor Tip of the Week **[Aaron Crickenberger]
  • [ 0:27 ] Open KEPs [Kubernetes Enhancement Proposals]
    • Coscheduling [Klaus Ma SIG-Scheduling] (confirmed)
    • [slides here]
    • Motivation: Some workloads (e.g. batch data processing) need all pods to start together
      • If some don’t start/get the right resources, everything should fail
      • May need some minimum (softer requirement than “everything”)
    • Proposal
      • Introduce “group name” annotation, scheduler considers all pods a group as needing to start together
      • Can separately specify minimum start number for a group
      • Can mark group as “restart entire group if one pod fails”
    • Quota brings some issues (quota could block things from creating/starting)
      • Can mark group as reserving some total amount of resources for the group
    • Status
      • Support in kube-batch 0.2+
      • Ongoing work: PodGroupController, Quota support, better starvation behavior
    • Other Kube-batch features: Queues, preemption, and more
  • [ 0:00 ] SIG Updates
    • SIG Leads, check out this set of recommended topics to cover during your update
    • Slide template if you need it
    • Please also check the SIG Update Schedule!
    • SIG PM [Stephen Augustus] (confirmed)
      • Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1IcrTbZCGlZGZKnBO6srYqPZiwGrDdUnacm7OlF5GM1o/edit?usp=sharing
      • Intro and deep dive from kubecon available on youtube
      • Last cycle
        • Survey on how people work with/use Kubernetes
        • Improved KEP process (KEP-1a – how do you implement usage of KEPS)
        • Moved some content/repos to unify how we track/manage multi-release work (KEPs)
          • k/features → k/enhancements
          • KEPs → k/enhancements
        • Categorizing KEPs
      • Next cycle
        • Revamp SIG PM charter (align with standard charter setups)
        • KEP
          • Clean up KEP process documentation to be clearer
          • Designate who owns different parts of KEPs at different points in lifecycle of the KEP
          • Continue migrations
            • Design proposals → k/enhancements (maybe)
              • Need to start pruning/figuring out what’s relevant
          • Make it easier to work with KEPs:
            • KEP CLI tool (easily update keps, scaffold new ones, etc)
            • KEPs on contributor site (for easy browsing, consuming)
          • KEP GA in 1.15
        • Burn all the spreadsheets
        • Make it easier to track projects cross-SIG
    • SIG Autoscaling [@mwielgus] (confirmed)
      • Responsible for all the components that adjust cluster objects for cluster needs (VPA, Cluster autoscaler, HPA)
      • Current features
        • Faster HPA scaling
        • Resolving problems with pod priorities in Cluster Autoscaler (a couple remain)
        • Vertical Pod Autoscaler to beta
        • Alibaba cloud support in Cluster Autoscaler
      • Upcoming features
        • API for scale up/down speed in HPA
      • Meeting every monday (7:00 AM PST)
    • SIG Network [Bowei Du] (confirmed)
      • In progress (see slides for more info/links):
        • IPv6
        • Custom DNS policy
        • Pod readiness gates
        • SCTP support
        • Node-local DNS caching
      • Please try stuff out and submit feedback!
      • Upcoming themes (see slides for links)
        • Revamping Ingress/L7
        • Dual stack (IPv4 + IPv6)
        • Topology-aware services (e.g. node local services)
        • Revamping services and endpoints
        • Multicast support
        • Windows support
      • Meetings every other Thursday
      • Looking in to contributor on-ramping guide
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:

January 17, 2019

(Recording being edited)

  • Moderators: Paris Pittman, SIG-Contributor Experience

  • Note Taker: Josh Berkus

  • [ 0:00 ]**Demo: **Kamus (confirmed) (forgot to get name)

    • Kamus - A secret encryption/decryption solution for Kubernetes applications.
      • open source, avail on Github
    • Slides
    • For storing all types of secrets (API token, certs, client pwd)
    • Existing secrets solutions are incomplete
      • Folks use “sealed secrets”, but that has limitations too
    • Demo of Kamus
      • 5 pods running PHP app with “decryptor”
        • it’s one for the app, 4 for Kamus api: 2 handling encryption and 2 handling decryption
      • Uses an encryptor exec to encrypt the secrets, and an init container to provide app containers with secrets access
      • Demo didn’t work initially, but worked later
    • Where are secrets being stored?
      • Multiple encryption options
      • Stored in either azure keyvault or gcp (google cloud)-kms(?)
        • (so, stored in cloud provider secrets store)
  • [ 0:00 ]** Release Updates**

  • [ 0:00 ] Contributor Tip of the Week

    • Mentoring!!
      • Grow your contributors!
        • Meet Our Contributors - monthly youtube series
          • New and current contributors
          • Two sessions for global span 3:30pm and 9pm UTC
          • To ask a question: #meet-our-contributors in slack or DM paris for anonymity
          • Current contributor benefits: an entire session with the steering committee to answer questions around: governance, structure of project, how they got involved, current business.
            • During regular mentor panel session: ask why is your test(s) flaking, how to be a subproject owner, what SIGs are looking for more contributors, etc
        • Google Summer of Code!
          • CNCF submitted our application - we are aiming for as many as possible
          • Have an interesting project and/or can you mentor? Email was sent from Nikhita kubernetes-dev@google.com
        • New contributor workshop
          • Every KubeCon - will be listed in the co-located events section, announced via blog, and kubernetes-dev@googlegroups.com
          • Check out the playlist from the last one in December
          • Onboarded ~200 new contributors last year
          • Also a good way for current contributors to meet new ones
          • The videos are also useful for online new contribs
        • Release Team!
        • Future
          • remote pair programming
          • other new ideas
  • [ 0:00 ] SIG Updates

    • **CLI **(@seans3): SIG CLI Update Slides
    • Subprojects now:
      • missed stuff here (look at slides for more)
      • Kustomize - filling in gaps
    • Current work:
      • extension mechanisms like plugins and dynamic commands
      • moved kubectl outside of kubernetes/kubernetes
      • declarative management of apps with kustomize
      • plus server-side apply, which will support “diff”
      • merged their charter
    • More about plugins
      • now beta!
      • plugin is binary prefaced by “kubectl-”
      • new repo is kubernetes/cli-runtime, including plugin stuff
      • see Seattle SIG-CLI deep dive
      • working on krew, early stages as plugin manager
    • dynamic command extensions
      • want to make "kubectl create " work, which is data-based
      • just starting work on this now
    • Moved out of core
      • kubernetes/kubectl
      • pkg/kubectl will move to a staging repo
    • Better declarative workflow
      • kustomize will merge into kubectl
      • lets you alter YAML doing kube-aware patching
      • see KEPs, kubernetes-sigs/kustomize
      • server-side apply supports intelligent “diffing”
    • New charter:
      • extra roles, Emeritus Lead and Test Health Manager
    • Sending out a survey to kubectl users about features soon
    • UP NEXT WEEK: NODE, CLOUD PROVIDER, AND API MACHINERY
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:

  • [liggitt] All hail @dims for running the 0-length flake to ground

  • [coderanger] Shoutout to the whole ZH docs translation crew, and a special mention for Adam Dang as putting in a ton of work! In total the team has merged 444 PRs over the past two months of Chinese translation!

  • [spiffxp] shoutout to @akutz for stepping to take notes for sig-testing’s weekly meetings, we go a mile a minute and it’s much appreciated!

  • [spiffxp] shoutout to @nikhita for moving the kubernetes project values to kubernetes/community for more exposure (https://github.com/kubernetes/steering/pull/88) and improving our WG docs generated from sigs.yaml (https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/3069)

  • [nikhita] Shoutout to @mspreitz for adding lots of details to the code-generator conversion-gen docs! https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/71821

January 24, 2018

  • Moderators: Jorge Castro [SIG Contributor Experience]
  • Note Taker: Bob Killen
  • [ 0:00 ]** Demo **-- Tracing Pod Startup in Kubernetes – David Ashpole (@dashpole) (confirmed)
    • Link to slides
    • Intern Sam did all the work (@Monkeyanator)
    • Latency problems in Kubernetes are hard
    • current tools don’t cut it: events, logs, latency metrics
    • distributed tracing helps solve these problems
    • Uses OpenCensus - Open Source vendor agnostic tracing library
      • can push to other tracing backends such as zipkin
    • Very easy to configure on top of Kubernetes
    • Adds annotation to pod and can follow all events related to that pod across Kubernetes by referencing that annotation
    • Very useful for debugging complex problems that span multiple components
    • Future:
      • pass trace context through downward api into containers
      • add trace mechanisms to other Kubernetes objects and CRDs
      • Trace other object processes e.g. object updates and deletions
      • Link form spans in trace interface to logs (needs context-aware logging)
    • KEP is in review
    • Link to repositories:
  • [ 0:00 ]** Release Updates**
  • [ 0:00 ] SIG Updates
    • SIG Leads, check out this set of recommended topics to cover during your update
    • Slide template if you need it
    • Please also check the SIG Update Schedule!
    • SIG Node [Dawn Chen] (confirmed)
      • Revised SIG Scope
        • Kubelet and its features
        • Pod API and Pod behaviors (with sig-architecture)
        • Node API (with sig-architecture)
        • Node controller
        • Node level performance and scalability (with sig-scalability)
        • Node reliability (problem detection and remediation)
        • Node lifecycle management (with sig-cluster-lifecycle)
        • Container runtime
          • Proposed new container shim api with containerd community
          • Important for working with Windows
        • Device management
          • More collaboration with containerd community
        • Image management
        • Node-level resource management (with sig-scheduling)
        • Hardware discovery
        • Issues related to node, pod, container monitoring (with sig-instrumentation)
        • Node level security and Pod isolation (with sig-auth)
        • Host OS and/or kernel interactions (to a limited extent)
      • Accomplishments in v1.13
        • RuntimeClass - multi container runtime support
        • efficient heartbeat for scalability (alpha)
        • better windows support
        • process namespace sharing promoted to beta
      • Q1 Updates
        • graduating / promoting features to next phase
          • efficient heartbeat - beta
          • runtimeClass - beta
          • node OS/arch labels to GA
          • HugePages - graduated
        • Improve node-level isolation: pids, userns, disk quota
        • work with sig-windows to promote windows node to GA
        • in-place pod resource updates
        • cpu/device co-scheduling
        • improve debugging at node level
    • SIG API Machinery [David Eads] (confirmed)
      • Last Cycle
        • CRD webhook conversion - alpha 1.13
          • Please test it, looking for more testers to ensure it covers all use cases.
        • Dynamic typed informers and listers - 1.13
          • Should make it easier to build dynamic controllers
      • Pans for upcoming cycles
        • path for admission webhooks to GA
          • need to finish KEP
        • Server side apply - alpha
        • Storage migration tool
        • Deprecating swagger.json (not the “normal” openapi)
        • Deprecating initializers, never made it past alpha
        • Investigating API request fairness
          • looking for comments on design proposal (insert link here)
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:
    • [spiffxp] Nikhita Raghunath (@nikhita) has joined the GitHub Admin Team

      • Huge thanks to Garrett Rodrigues (@grodrigues3) for his time on the team
    • [spiffxp] Next week’s Steering Committee meeting: we’re going to try doing it publicly, stay tuned for details

      **:clap: **Shoutouts this week (Check in #shoutouts on slack) :clap:

    • Aaron Crickenberger would like to thank:

    • Arambé Alarcón has hosting facilities in Mexico City, would like to start hosting a k8s meetup group.

    • Henning Jacobs is collecting a list of Kubernetes Failure Stories.

    • Call for demos for this call, see the top of this document if you’re interested in giving a demo.

    • Also if you want to guest host this meeting, ping @castrojo or @paris

    • #talk-proposals on slack - Place for people to discuss CFPs, talks, share stories and techniques, get peer reviews, etc.

1 Like

January 31, 2019

February 7, 2019

February 14, 2019

Sorry this one is late!

  • Moderator: Jeff Sica, SIG UI
  • **Note Taker: **
  • [ 0:00 ] Demo: Kube-service-exporter: A way to bring your own load balancer to balance across multiple clusters, using consul - Guinevere Saenger, GitHub
  • Release updates:
    • marpaia (confirmed)
  • **SIG Updates: **
  • Announcements:
    • **Slack update: **we are only manually inviting contributors who need access for now until we hear from Slack. If you are in a SIG and have a member that needs access, Ping in #slack-admins and an admin will DM you for the email. Consumer traffic is being routed to discuss.kubernetes.io.
    • Kubecon Shanghai CFP ends at 11:59PM PT, February 22, 2019
      • SIG Deep Dives/Intros due:
    • **Shoutouts (see slack #shoutouts) **
      • nikhita - Figured this makes a good shoutout too! @spiffxp @pwittrock :smile:
      • dbhanushali (The-Wall)- In no particular order @krzyzacy (seen) @amwat (Amit) @cjwagner (Cole) @ixdy (Jeff) @bentheelder (Been). shoutout for their assistance in test-infra release task automation
      • spiffxp - Shoutouts to @coderanger @mrbobbytables and @kbarnard10 for putting together and posting Runc and CVE-2019-5736 - Kubernetes so quickly
      • nikhita - shoutout to @mrbobbytables and @justaugustus for handling new member requests in k/org in such a timely manner! It feels like there are at least 4-5 requests every day and they still manage to get to each of them, while simultaneously doing so many other things for our community! :100:
      • paris - thanks Jeff for hosting this call in my absence at the last minute. True team player!
      • mrbobbytables - shoutout to @zacharysarah, sig-docs and everyone involved in kick starting the french translation efforts! @sieben @Aurelien Perrier @lledru @yastij @smana @rbenzair @Jean-Yves Gastaud and the others I don’t have slack handles for but heres github: awkif, abuisine, rekcah78 and erickhun
1 Like

February 21, 2019

February 28, 2019

  • Moderators: Chris Short [SIG ContribEx]
  • Note Taker: Bob Killen
  • [ 0:00 ]** Demo **-- Feb 28 - Kubernetes Policy Controller with OPA/KPC - Dave Strebel strebeld@gmail.com (confirmed)
    • Gatekeeper project and Kubernetes policy controller merged to become Open Policy Agent (OPA) Gatekeeper.
    • OPA - General purpose policy engine using declarative policy language (rego)
    • Focused on protecting the Kubernetes API
    • Augments Admission / Authorization and Audit capabilities of Kubernetes.
      • Adds more granular policies and can mutate requests.
    • Partially backed by CRDs, working on full configuration through CRD.
    • Can audit current environment against policies without enforcing policies.
    • Examples:
      • Can enforce policies such as images must be pulled from specific registries.
      • Can add additional annotations on matching criteria.
    • CNCF Blog
  • [ 0:00 ]** Release Updates**
    • Current Release Development Cycle [Aaron Crickenberger - Release Manager] (confirmed)
    • Upcoming milestones:
      • **Docs Placeholder PRs Friday March 1 **(week 8)
      • Code Freeze Thursday March 7 (week 9)
        • **Reminder: **No code slush leading to freeze.
    • Enhancements
      • https://bit.ly/k8s114-enhancements
      • Are you sure you are ready for your enhancement to land
      • Do you have tests our CI signal team can use to confirm your enhancement is working
      • 14 enhancements at risk
    • CI Signal
    • Release notes should well…be about the release.
    • Patch Release Updates
      • x.x
      • y.x
  • [ 0:00 ] Contributor Tip of the Week
  • [ 0:00 ] SIG Updates
    • SIG Leads, check out this set of recommended topics to cover during your update
    • Slide template if you need it
    • Please also check the SIG Update Schedule!
    • SIG Cluster Lifecycle [Tim Allclair and Robert Bailey] (confirmed)
      • kubeadm v1.14
        • p0 - working on better test automation
          • starting to use KinD as a tool to replace kubernetes anywhere
          • upgrade testing
        • p1 - improve HA lifecycle
        • p2 - improve join action
      • cluster-api
        • Plan to release v1alapha1 around the v1.14 release
        • Added support for cascading deletion
        • Improve machine object deletion
        • NEED testers
      • minikube
        • v0.34 update released
        • Working towards a v1 release in March
      • Kops
        • upgraded to etcd3
        • working through current CVE issue
        • building roadmap for cluster-api
      • KinD
        • Offline support
        • Upgraded to v1.13.3
        • Goal: Use KinD to replace local cluster-up
      • PSAs
        • Component config working group started
        • Working on addon management
          • CRD lifecycle
      • Upcoming planning session.
    • SIG OpenStack Chris Hoge
      • Slides
      • Moving in-tree provider from kubernetes/kubernetes
      • Working on building better deployment tooling
        • Magnum - integrated K8s deployment
        • Self service through Kops
        • Cluster-API implementation for OpenStack cloud and bare metal.
      • Bare Metal Cluster-API implementation will use ironic with multiple deployment options:
        • Standalone single tenant
        • Integrated, multi-tenant with cloud-link services.
      • Kops OpenStack provider is alpha
      • Plan to work closer with CNCF regarding CI/CD testing and working closer with sig-testing.
    • SIG Auth Mike Danese
      • Slides
      • Working on roll out of better service account tokens
      • Dynamic auditing with per sink policy
      • Refining approach to the different policy types in Kubernetes
        • Dynamic admission ecosystem including a general purpose policy engine (e.g. OPA)
        • New domain-specific policies: scheduling and images
        • rethinking PodSecurityPolicies due to usability issues
      • Improve API Server authentication
        • dynamic webhooks have become popular, need a better way to authenticate the api server as a client.
        • Webhooks can accept sensitive data and return sensitive data, need to identify the caller
      • Organization:
        • Identified and defined subprojects and TLs.
        • More proactively engage with subprojects
        • Absorbed wg-container-identity.
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:
    • We’re in need of more slack moderators, apply here and click the moderator request button.
      • Must be a k8s org member already
      • APAC and EU moderators needed the most
    • Shoutouts
      • Akutz - Major #shoutout to Katharine Berry (@Katharine) for fixing a UX bug within just a few hours of me mentioning it - https://kubernetes.slack.com/archives/C09QZ4DQB/p1550863111161400. Ain’t no service like SIG-Testing service, cause SIG-Testing service don’t stop!
      • spiffxp - shoutout to Thomas Runyon (@runyontr) for https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/72939 allowing us to run eg: make test-cmd WHAT=deployment to run just the the deployment cli tests, same sort of thing you can do with make test and make test-integration
      • bentheelder - shoutout to @gsaenger for writing a wonderful new message for the welcome bot! looking forward to seeing this in more places - (https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/contributor-playground/pull/229#issuecomment-466711312)
      • bentheelder - Shoutout to @jeefy for the really shiny and useful looking structured Kubernetes release notes viewer demo in today’s #sig-release meeting, looking forward to seeing more about this!
      • Maria - shoutout to Silvia Moura Pina (@smourapina) for putting together a workflow to enable the CI signal subteam of the release team keep on top of flagging issues from e2e tests and coordinate follow-ups and to Jorge Alarcon (@Jorge) for spotting an opportunity to offer broader transparency to what the CI signal team is working on, suggesting a structure and kicking off implementation (find current version at https://github.com/orgs/kubernetes/projects/11)
      • spiffxp - shouts to Josh Berkus (@jberkus) for taking notes during today’s steering committee meeting, our google doc clearly becomes way more difficult to use with so many people looking at it, and the written record is invaluable
      • spiffxp - shoutout to Katharine Berry (@Katharine) for moving us from gubernator to spyglass for all of our test result viewing needs! https://git.k8s.io/test-infra/prow/spyglass
      • codenrhoden - Shoutout to Michelle Au (@msau42) for her patience and helpful guidance in getting a very large PR merged!
      • @strebel - @jeefy and @onyiny-ang for all their awesome work on the Release-Notes team for 1.14. Especially @jeefy’s work on the Release-Notes website concept
2 Likes

March 7, 2019

  • Moderators: Chris Short [SIG-ContribEx]

  • Note Taker: Bob Killen - University of Michigan

  • [ 0:00 ]** Demo **-- Argo CD — Enterprise scale open source GitOps solution to deploy 100s of apps in prod - Jesse_Suen@intuit.com & Alexander_Matyushentsev@intuit.com (confirmed)

    • Slides
    • https://github.com/argoproj/argo-cd
    • Collection of controllers and tools for workflow processing.
    • Well known for their batch job engine
    • Supports SSO via dex
    • Has “GitOps” style workflow capability by auto-syncing with git repos.
    • Has built-in health checks for native kubernetes objects for use with deploying.
      • Can add custom checks via lua checks
      • Can rollback in the event of a degraded deployment
    • Has pre and post sync hooks that can be used to inject custom logic
      • Useful for db migrations etc
    • Emits events for auditing along with full prometheus metrics
  • [ 0:00 ]** Release Updates**

  • [ 0:00 ] **Contributor Tip of the Week **[Jorge Castro]

  • [ 0:00 ] SIG Updates

    • SIG Leads, check out this set of recommended topics to cover during your update
    • Slide template if you need it
    • Please also check the SIG Update Schedule!
    • SIG IBM Cloud [Sahdev Zala and Richard Theis] (confirmed)
      • Slides
      • Last Cycle
      • Upcoming Cycle
        • Move internal cloud-provider repo public
          • Refactor to use cloud-controller manager design
          • Working on internal build process changes
    • SIG Service Catalog [Jonathan Berkhahn] (confirmed)
      • Slides
      • Last Cycle
        • Continued work on namespaced resources
        • Began work on transitioning to CRDs
      • Upcoming Cycle
        • Namespaced resources
        • Move to GA
          • CRDs
          • Bug fixes
        • Finish moving tests to prow
        • Recruiting new contributors and maintainers
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:

    :clap: Shoutouts this week (Check in #shoutouts on slack) :clap:

  • Aaron Crickenberger: shouts to @oomichi for his continued review of kubernetes/kubernetes test/e2e PR’s, he’s helped land over 30 PR’s this release cycle (including some conformance tests)

  • Lachlan Evenson: shouts to @bentheelder @munnerz and the kind team for all the great work that’s gone into the kind tool and docs. It’s radically changed my inner loop for testing code changes in Kubernetes. Thanks!

  • Lachlan Evenson: shouts to @claurence for being an awesome enhancements lead on the 1.14 release team. She’s taken the time to coach all the shadows and has been diligently grooming the 33 features in the hopper for 1.14. Cheers from your fellow enhancements shadows!

  • Paris Pittman: Thanks to our upstream mentoring panelists on #meet-our-contributors today!! @mike.splain @carolynvs @dims @directxman12 @a_sykim

  • Dims: Thank you to the #meet-our-contributors hosts always excellent hosts @paris and @jorge!

  • Chris Short: Thank you to @mrbobbytables for stepping in to take notes the past two Kubernetes Community meetings. I really appreciate it! :khanparrot::khanparrot::khanparrot:

  • Nikhita: shoutout to @jeefy and @Katharine for https://twitter.com/spiffxp/status/1103717028232290305

2 Likes

March 14, 2019

  • Moderators: Jorge Castro [SIG Contributor Experience]

  • Note Taker: First Last [Company/SIG]

  • [ 0:00 ]** Demo **-- ~~dmesser@redhat.com - Automated Day 2 Operations on Kubernetes using Operators Demo Title [Daniel Messer, dmesser@redhat.com] (confirmed) ~~

    • Didn’t happen - timezone changes undocumented in the doc and github, Jorge will reschedule them as soon as possible. PR sent to fix github docs.
  • [ 0:00 ]** Release Updates**

  • [ 0:00 ] SIG Updates

    • SIG Leads, check out this set of recommended topics to cover during your update
    • Slide template if you need it
    • Please also check the SIG Update Schedule!
    • SIG Architecture [Matt Farina] (confirmed) Deck link
      • Making changes to better scale and avoid burnout
        • Focus on:
          • documenting guidance as opposed to one-off decisions
          • Move discussions to mailing lists to better include others
          • more on delegating to OWNERS
          • Ensuring subprojects cultivate new leaders, make sure subprojects are staffed
        • Done so far
          • KEP process → SIG PM
          • Meetings every other week now
          • API Review shadowing (teach new people to be API reviewers
      • Other things done:
        • Add guidance that everything should be tested
        • KEPs for 1.14+ should now have upgrade/downgrade/test plan
        • Documented Kubernetes Scope
        • Windows nodes GA
      • How to help
        • Arch & API Governance subproject: look at process, sign up for shadowing
        • Conformance Definition: come talk to them to onboard
        • Code Organization: need people to help kickstart untangling kubernetes/kubernetes, figure out dependency handling (currently mostly unstaffed, needs people to start the effort)
        • https://git.k8s.io/community/sig-architecture/README.md
      • Questions/Additions
        • SIG arch is always welcomes people who want to come in and get work done
        • Goal of changes is to avoid SIG Arch being the single-point-of-failure for technical decisions, and instead be a last resort
    • SIG VMware [Steven Wong] (confirmed - ~3 min) Deck link
      • Last cycle
        • Out-of-tree cloud provider
        • CSI provider improvements
        • Cluster API provider
        • Minikube for Fusion/Workstation
      • Upcoming cycle
        • Stabilize cloud provider, CSI provider
        • Cluster API management cluster pattern
      • How to help
    • SIG Multicluster [Irfan ur Redhman] (confirmed)
      • Time zone problem, Jorge to reschedule asap.
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:

    • New Contributor Summit site is live at https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/contributor-summit-europe-2019/, and registration will be live be EOD March 14th

    • Slack signup is back!

    • 1.15 Release Team

      • @claurence is 1.15 lead
      • Issue for rest of roles is yet to be created
    • PSA: we have a new channel on slack #pr-reviews to help people find reviewers. Help get eyeballs on PRs.

    • Aaron has a last minute announcement

      **:clap: **Shoutouts this week

  • coderanger - Shoutout to @Katharine for kicking butt on Slack automation to help out the admin team!

    • (e.g. more actions → report for bad messages)
  • mrbobbytables - Just seconding @coderanger seriously big shoutout to @Katharine for the stuff shes doing to make Slack a better place for all of us :heart: :heart: :heart:

  • spiffxp - Big shouts to @neolit123 for his investigative work on what appears to be a golang 1.12 bug. And @liggitt @justinsb @dims for the continued assists. And the golang team for trying to get us go1.12.1 in time

  • Shout-out to @marpaia for setting up and running the EU friendly release team meetings, stepping in so much whenever Aaron isn’t available, and keeping on top of all the things :pray:

March 21, 2019 - (recording)

March 28, 2019 - Release Retrospective for 1.14

  • Moderators: Jaice Singer DuMars and Aaron Crickenberger
  • See Retrospective Doc for notes
  • Normal Community Meeting next week!

April 4, 2019

  • Moderators: Vallery Lancey [Lyft / k8s contributor]
  • Note Taker: Jorge Castro [SIG Contribex]
  • **Demo **-- k3s [Darren Shepherd]
  • **Demo **-- BotKube [Sanket Sudake(sanket@infracloud.io) & Prasad (prasad@infracloud.io)] (confirmed)
  • [ 0:00 ]** Release Updates**
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:
    • No major announcements this week

      • SIG Chairs/TLs, remember to check your inboxes and #chairs-and-techleads for Paris’ newsletter

      **:clap: **Shoutouts this week (Check in #shoutouts on slack) :clap:

    • nikhita - shoutout to @rlenferink for consistently stepping up to review PRs in kubernetes/org and other contribex repos :slight_smile:

    • Jdetiber - shoutout to @justinsb for helping us get the initial v1alpha1 release of cluster-api out the door and the image published!

    • Vllry - Huge shoutout to @liggitt for the amount of contributor questions he’s been answering… feels like he’s explaining the codebase and community everywhere I go.

    • Jdetiber - shoutout to @leah for the great work around enumerating and documenting use cases for the Cluster API subproject

    • Top 10 Stackoverflow users in the Kubernetes Tag for March:

      • Jexrael, Dmide, Gordon Linoff, Wiktor Stribizew, Martijn Pieters, Wen-Ben, TJ Crowder, and akrun
      • Thanks for helping out!

April 11, 2019

  • Moderators: Lachlan Evenson [SIG-PM]
  • Note Taker: Solly Ross [Google/KubeBuilder]
  • [ 0:00 ]** Demo **-- What’s New in Windows Containers in K8s [SIG-Windows], Patrick Lang, Senior Software Engineer, SIG-Windows co-chair - @patricklang
  • [ 0:00 ]** Release Updates**
    • Current Release Development Cycle [Claire Laurence - Release Manager] (Confirmed)
      • 1.15 release cycle began Monday (April 8)
      • Working on getting schedule finalized (README link here)
      • 11-week cycle (GA on June 17, to avoid releasing during KubeCon Shanghai)
      • Enhancements tracking starting next week (April 15th-ish)
        • File issues for including in the 1.15
        • Enhancements freeze on April 30
          • Must have open issue in the 1.15 milestone
        • Please have test plans and graduation criteria
      • 1.15 alpha 1 next tuesday
      • Release notes starting on April 23rd
    • Patch Release Updates
      • 1.14.1 released 2019-04-08
      • 1.13.6 TBD April 2019
      • 1.12.8 cherry pick deadline 2019-04-19, release target 2019-04-22
      • 1.11.10 …officially past 9 months typical support window, but possibly one last release to come TBD April 2019
  • [ 0:00 ] **Contributor Tip of the Week **[Jorge Castro]
    • What do I OWNERs and how do I check?
    • https://cs.k8s.io (hound) allows code search through the k8s codebase
    • Search accepts RegEx
    • Can search for yourself and make sure you’re in the appropriate OWNERS files and make sure you’re not still listed for things you’re not working on
    • https://cs.k8s.io/?q=castrojo&files=OWNERS - sub in your github name to see which files you’re in.
  • [ 0:00 ] KEP of the Week [Kubernetes Enhancement Proposals]
  • [ 0:00 ] SIG Updates
    • Info for SIG Leads
    • SIG Cloud Provider [Chris Hoge @hogepodge] (confirmed)
      • Link to slides
      • Work on stuff in k8s that’s common across all cloud providers (e.g. loading of cloud providers)
      • Current biggest area of work is cloud provider extraction
        • Want to have out-of-tree cloud providers instead of having to have everything baked in
        • Several cloud providers are integrated into k8s codebase, need to extract them
          • Step 1: have interface for providers to interact with
            • Done: Cloud Controller Manager is complete
          • Step 2: unwind built-in cloud providers
            • many in-tree cloud providers are deeply integrated
            • Moving those to staging
            • Don’t want to break existing users, but still want to start breaking out of codebase
      • New areas of work
        • Restructuring cloud provider SIGs into SIG Cloud Provider subprojects
          • Proposal
          • Will still have quarterly updates for cloud providers, still have event time at KubeCon, etc
          • Plan to have full implementation for KubeCon San Diego (KubeCon NA 2019)
        • Replacing SSH tunnel system with API server network proxy
        • Out-of-tree image credential providers
        • Better docs
        • HA clusters with cloud controller manager
          • e.g. leader election is tricky
      • In-tree cloud providers going away by December 2019 – start using the external providers
        • Ovirt, cloud stack, and photon cloud providers are deprecated and will be removed
      • To help: see issues on https://git.k8s.io/cloud-provider
        • Links to Slack and Mailing List in slides
    • SIG API Machinery [Daniel Smith @lavalamp] (confirmed)
      • Current work
        • Server-side apply is in alpha \o/
          • Demos in SIG API Machinery meetings
        • CRD schemas now published into OpenAPI (in alpha)
        • Storage migration work progressing (updating existing objects in etcd to new schema on upgrade)
      • Upcoming plans
        • Move extensibility features to GA by end-of-year (CRDs, webhooks, etc)
        • Apply to beta in 1.15
        • KEP for better handling of union types (e.g. VolumeSource)
        • API server traffic classification/proxying support (can’t talk to etcd if you’re trying to talk to a webhook, for example)
          • KEP posted in enhancements repo
        • Better server-side rate limiting
          • KEP posted
      • Finalizing CRD, webhook plans soon, provide feedback soon if you have it
      • Lots of subprojects, see slides or README above for details
      • How to help
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:
    • **Office Hours next week! **Next Wednesday! Ping @castrojo if you want to get involved.

    • Windows containers in Kubernetes Poll

      • SIG Windows wants feedback on Windows use cases in Kubernetes from users
    • Cluster API now has a discuss.k8s.io category for discussions if you want to join in.

      **:clap: **Shoutouts this week (Check in #shoutouts on slack) :clap:

    • vllry - shoutout to @a_sykim for helping me get a kube-proxy bugfix out the door!

    • jdetiber - shoutout to @castrojo for getting us setup with a Cluster API discourse topic in no time at all

    • jdetiber - shoutout to @Katharine for helping out with the recent boskos deployments we’ve needed for wiring up automated e2e tests for the Cluster API subproject

    • Top 10 Stackoverflow answerers in the Kubernetes Tag for the last week:

      • Frank Yucheng Gu, Eduardo Baitello, Rico, cookiedough, Janos Lenart, P Ekambaram, Harsh Manvar, 4c74356b41, A_Suh, Leandro Donizetti Soares
      • Thanks for helping out!

April 18, 2019

  • Moderators: Bob Killen (sub for Paris Pittman) [SIG-Contributor Experience]
  • Note Taker: [Company/SIG]
  • [ 0:00 ]** Demo **-- Dan Lorenc - Tekton Pipeline CRD - A K8s-native Pipeline resource.(confirmed)
    • Link to slides
    • Link to repositories
    • Declarative CI/CD system making native use of Kubernetes resources
    • Contributors: Google, Pivotal, CloudBees, Red Hat, IBM and more
    • Has Task CRD that defines sequence of steps inside a pod
    • “Type Safe” Ci/CD system
    • Pipeline CRD builds a graph/DAG of the tasks
  • [ 0:00 ]** Release Updates**
    • Current Release Development Cycle [Claire Laurence - Release Manager]
    • Patch Release Update
      • enhancements freeze next week
  • [ 0:00 ] **Contributor Tip of the Week **[Katharine Berry]
  • [ 0:00 ] KEP of the Week [Kubernetes Enhancement Proposals]
  • [ 0:00 ] SIG Updates
    • SIG Azure [Stephen Augustus] (confirmed)
    • SIG Release [Stephen Augustus] (confirmed)
      • Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1znI75gT1shim_CiPA2uDhhqhxA76AdnAxlp78eTV_cA/edit?usp=sharing
      • last cycle
        • release 1.14
        • keps are now a requirement for in-tree kubernetes enhancements
        • improved KEP template
        • introduced a questionnaire for release team shadow process
          • no longer first come first served shadow selection process.
          • iterative improvements being made to questionnaire for future releases.
        • improving release engineering (branch and patch release management)
          • now patch-release team
        • licensing subproject team
          • Everything related to tracking licenses to ensure compliance with CNCF/LF.
      • next cycle
        • Improve KEP tracking process.
        • Staff Release Engineering and Licensing teams
        • Improve feedback loop for KEPs with sig-pm
        • Ensure there is concrete membership criteria for the Patch Release/Release Team
        • Establish policy for tracking out-of-tree enhancements
        • Establish policy for release artifacts
        • work with wg k8s-infra-team on creating visible / community managed artifacts.
        • revisit charter to define in/out-of-scope
        • build process around orgt-wide license management
    • SIG Big Data [First Last]
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:
    • Barcelona Contributor Summit schedule locked in. (https://contsummiteu19.sched.com/) - Invites to sched will be sent out soon (**Must **be registered through contrib summit site to get sched invite).
      • Reminder that current contributor content is SIG/subproject F2F only.
        • Kubebuilder subproject
        • Release Team meeting
        • SIG-CLI
        • SIG-Cloud Provider
        • SIG-Cluster Lifecycle
        • SIG-IBM Cloud
        • SIG-Networking
        • SIG-PM
        • SIG-Scheduling
        • SIG-UI
        • SIG-VMware
        • SIG-Windows
  • **:clap: **Shoutouts this week (Check in #shoutouts on slack) :clap:
    • lachie83 - shoutout to @hogepodge @lavalamp for providing awesome sig updates today during the community meeting
    • lachie83 - shoutout to @patricklang for the awesome windows on k8s demo during the community meeting today (this note is from last week --ed.)
    • zacharysarah - Shoutout to @remyleone for not only leading the French localization of docs, but helping the Spanish and Indonesian projects launch as well.
    • jdetiber - Shoutout to @vincepri for the great work on getting the Cluster API project scope and objectives documented and working through seemingly unending feedback to get us to the point that the document can be merged. (edited)

April 25, 2019

[ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:

  • WG LTS Survey ending on April 26th.
  • We now have a #pr-reviews slack channel as a last resort if your PR is stuck. We would love to have folks who can triage/review as well to join the channel to help wither fellow contributors. The idea is to help get someone get a PR “ready” and get the right SIGs/Reviewers/Approvers involved.
  • **:clap: **Shoutouts this week (Check in #shoutouts on slack) :clap:
    • Nihita would like to “Shoutout to @eduar for expanding the contributor cheatsheet, and for following up on it even after his Outreachy internship ended :tada:
    • zacharysarah would like to “Shoutout to @bradtopol for his willingness to step out of a Barcelona speaking slot in order to make room for a local leader to step in. That’s some generous leadership! :partyk8s:
    • lukaszgryglicki would like to “Shoutout to @Eugene Glotov for helping me with AWS/ELB/EKS stuff - T H A N K S !

May 2, 2019

(No video handy, will post when I have it)

  • Moderators: Lachlan Evenson (SIG-PM, 1.15 release team)

  • Note Taker: Solly Ross (Google / Kubebuilder)

  • [ 0:00 ]** Demo **-- k8dash [Eric Herbrandson (eric@herbrandson.com)] (confirmed)

    • Link to slides
    • Link to repo
    • Alternative k8s dashboard
    • Native OIDC integration (no proxy)
    • Uses watch APIs to update in real-time (no refreshing)
    • Filterable, sortable views for
      • Metrics: Resource usage using websockets API – lots of graphs integrated into other views
      • Pods
      • Workloads (see live rollouts, etc)
      • Storage
      • Secrets (blurred so still easy to copy)
      • RBAC
    • Editing
      • YAML editor
        • Context-aware documentation in YAML editor
        • Can kubectl-apply via UI
      • Scale
      • Delete
    • Views are response (works fine in mobile, nicely resizes to fit)
      • Debug pods on the go!
    • Looking for feedback on:
      • What’s missing for your team?
      • How to promote within the community
    • Questions
      • Q: What’s the difference between k8dash and kubernetes/dashboard
        • A: Real-time updates are the big difference (no refreshes, easy to see live updates)
        • A: OIDC integration
        • A: uses metrics-server for stats, not heapster (which is deprecated)
  • [ 0:00 ]** Release Updates**

    • Current Release Development Cycle [Claire Laurence - Release Manager]
    • V1.15.0-alpha.2
      • Week 4 of release cycle (past/current week)
        • 2nd alpha release (Monday)
        • Enhancements freeze was Tuesday
          • 43 enhancements for 1.15 before freeze
          • 35 enhancements for 1.15 after (including 5 approved exceptions)
      • Week 5 (upcoming week)
        • 1.11.0 jobs removed (May 7)
        • 3rd alpha (May 7th)
    • Patch Release Updates
      • v1.14.2 tentative 5/14
      • v1.13.6 coming 5/8
      • v1.12.8 released 4/24
      • v1.11.10 released 5/1 - this was the final 1.11 patch release
  • [ 0:00 ] KEP of the Week [Kubernetes Enhancement Proposals]

    • Add revised IPv4/IPv6 dual stack KEP - [Provisional seeking implementable]
    • follow up #k8s-dual-stack on slack or k8s discuss
    • Motivation: enable dual stack support in kubernetes – pods with ipv4 and ipv6 support addresses side-by-side
      • IPv6-only has existed for a while in Kubernetes
      • Dual stack is common migration path
    • Multi-release KEP
      • 1.15 target is to get multiple IP addresses on a pod, all nodes to have multiple CIDRs
  • [ 0:00 ] SIG Updates

    • SIG Storage [Saad Ali] (confirmed)
      • [slides here]
      • Kubernetes 1.14
        • Local PVs moved to GA (local-to-node disk as PV, like hostPath but with scheduler support, blog on k8s.io [link here])
        • CSI improvements: moving towards feature parity with in-tree volumes
          • [beta] Raw block volumes (block device in container instead of FS)
          • [beta] topology (support for expressing that volume is only available to certain nodes for scheduling)
          • [alpha] resizing (request more size on volume)
        • [alpha] in-tree → CSI migration (adapters to point in-tree plugins to CSI so we can remove third-party code without breaking users)
        • Pluggable e2e test framework to make writing tests for all volume plugins easier (lots of volume plugins were untested because tests were very specific)
      • Kubernetes 1.15
        • [beta] in-tree → CSI migration (may end up staying alpha)
        • CSI features
          • [beta] resizing (may end up staying alpha depending on KEP)
          • [alpha] ephemeral inline volumes (better support for local, ephemeral volumes like secrets or configmaps in CSI without needing to create a PVC first, inline in pod definition instead)
          • Volume capacity and usage metrics (exists for in-tree volumes, need support for CSI)
        • Snapshots
          • CSI-only feature
          • [alpha] pause/resume hooks for application-level consistency (instead of just crash consistency)
          • [in design] volume consistency groups – multi-volume snapshots
        • [alpha] Cloning (immediately duplicate volume copy-on-write style if supported by plugin)
        • [redesign] volume attach limits (most storage systems have limits about how many volumes can be attached to a node, scheduler needs to be aware of this, needs improvement for CSI)
      • Come learn/participate
    • SIG Docs [Zach Corleissen/Jennifer Rondeau] (confirmed)
      • [slides here]
      • Last cycle
        • 1.14 docs :slight_smile:
        • New meta-documentation on docs release lead
        • +6-7 more localizations
          • Starting more meta-documentation on localization
          • Lots of good fixes to english docs when translation issues are encountered as well
        • More roles, mentoring support – help bring new folks on and get them contributing faster/more easily
        • WG-ish group about how to organize security content in docs (talk to @zparnold)
          • Get involved: #sig-docs-security
        • Figuring out subdomain-hosting for subprojects (e.g. kind.k8s.io)
        • Getting more tech writers for pain points in the docs (e.g. “pick the right solution”)
      • Upcoming plans
        • Mentorship – path to approver, new contributor ambassador
          • Better path for first issue → merged PRs
        • 1.15 docs :slight_smile:
        • Better issue triage
      • Upcoming doc sprints
        • KubeCon EU (not WriteTheDocs, since it conflicts with KubeCon EU)
        • KubeCon Shanghai
        • OpenSource Summit Tokyo
      • Using shadows for leads due to lead visibility (comes with a good pun, see the recording)
      • Kubernetes Blog is officially subproject of SIG Docs
      • How to contribute:
  • [ 0:00 ] :mega:Announcements :mega:
    *

    👏 Shoutouts this week (Check in #shoutouts on slack) 👏
    
    • paris - thanks to @deads2k and @soltysh for joining us today for the first meet our contributors session. tons of great answers to API and CLI contributing questions - thanks for being mentors!
    • Soltysh - big thanks to @paris and @castrojo for organizing meet our contributors