The March Community Meeting will be this Thursday.
Next Deadline: Code Thaw, March 17th; Cherry Pick Deadline March 19
We’re going into Code Thaw now, so remember you need to tag any fixes with branch v1.18. Your docs should be already complete (they are, aren’t they?), and 1.18rc1 will be released on Tuesday. Final release is still slated for March 24th.
It’s been a quiet week thanks to code freeze so starting off with a small but useful fix. For those playing around with the new EndpointSlices system, you no longer have to filter out terminating pods. If you haven’t checked out EndpointSlices, this is great time to!
We don’t normally cover backports, but as the mainline fix was spread over many PRs this is easier to link to. The core issue was too many nodes going unready simultaneously could overwhelm apiserver/etcd due to the number of updates involved in marking a node NotReady. Collectively these fixes massively improve the performance of that NotReady transition and so decrease the chances of a self-DoS. It has also been backported to all other versions, the linked PR is just an example. The underlying fixes are listed below.
- #82489: adding lock to node data map
- #82884: eviction processing refactor
- #83248: adding fakeGetPodsAssignedToNode
- #83320: adding pods to DeletePods parameters
- #83780: using pod pointers in node lifecycle controller
- #84445: MarkPodsNotReady retry fix
- #81167: adding pods lister
- Eliminate data race condition in Kubelet image manager that was causing the kubelet to stall out; likely to be cherry-picked to all versions
- Remove wait.Until from kubelet.Run so that we stop crashing the kubelet
- Preserve apiVersion when decoding objects into lists, so that patching multi-version CRDs is still possible
- Stop flooding kube-proxy logs in dual-stack clusters with useless warnings
- ExternalTrafficPolicy should actually get used for ExternalIP-type Services
- Stop modifying Security Groups assigned via the aws-load-balancer-security-groups annotation
Original Source: http://lwkd.info/2020/20200317