LWKD has been on hiatus due to KubeConEU and multiple industry conferences. As such, this issue covers the last two weeks of development. Mind the gap? LWKD is looking for contributors
Community Meeting Summary
SIG-Architecture, according to Brian Grant, is finalizing their charter, as well as working with SIG-PM on the KEP process. They also want to create a formal review process for API changes. Interested? Join their weekly office hours to discuss things. SIG-Contributor Experience is thinking of launching a contributor site, per Paris Pittman. The first part of this is a Discourse forum, which was launched this week. They are planning a contributor survey for June, have started the Developers Guide, and need mentors as always.
The big news of the week is that Docs and website have moved to Hugo.io from Jeckyll. As Hugo has somewhat different and stricter formatting, Docs contributors may need to revise contributions. SIG-Apps has posted the results of the Applications survey. Lastly, SIG-UI needs help, esp. JS and go programmers.
Next Deadline: Beta0 Release, May 15th
Last week was week 6 of 12 for 1.11 development. The focus was on fixing test failures. Thanks to the hard work of the Release Team (especially Aish Sundar) and the responsiveness of contributors, we appear likely to be able to release Beta0 on time. But please check your Github email for messages from CI Signal.
We have 42 Features in the tracking worksheet. There is a 1.10.3 update release planned for May 21st.
- The kubelet config key in its ConfigMap must now be explicitly named, instead of relying on magic naming.
- The OpenStack cloud provider has been moved to the external module. Other cloud providers will be moved in the future.
- Support OpenID Connect distributed claims.
- Reduce frequency of garbage collector calls to reduce load on the APIserver.
- CRD Status now supports GET and PATCH, and making a spec required is straightened out.
- Client-based restmappers have been moved to client-go where they belong.
kubectl deletebased on selection criteria no longer errors if no objects were found, a.nd
cpnow supports command completion.
- Creating ConfigMaps and Secrets from files now works on Windows.
- Pod name and namespace is now being carried through to stats collection.
- The kubelet
--node-ipflag now also reports DNS info.
- KubeAdm now searches for configs in standard locations.
- The dynamic client for client-go has been replaced, please switch to the new one.
- A preflight check that validated custom arguments has been removed from kubeadm to avoid dependency bloat.
master-countendpoint type for APIserver is deprecated and will be removed in 1.13.
- Prevent panic when merging OpenAPI specs, and allow specs to have empty paths(backported).
- Support Azure VMs with underscores.
- The deprecated
--allow-privilegedflag, removed from kubelet, is now effectively true in order to allow PodSecurityPolicy to work.
- Stop blocking creation based on lack of deletion rights.
- Re-enable nodeipam controller for external clouds.
- Fix subpath ReadOnly mounts.
- Change shell scripts to use
Graph of the Week
The results of the Application Survey included a number of charts. The respondees skew heavily towards Helm users, so it’s interesting to see what else Helm users use, such as which GUI they use, if any. As you can see here, 40% of them don’t use a GUI at all.