I know a bunch of people are now working from home that haven’t before so I thought I’d start collating some resources for everyone so we can all share good tips and tricks without digging through tons of transient twitter posts. I’ve marked this post a wiki so feel free to edit, also feel free to just reply with your own tips.
- Dustin Kirkland’s setup after 20+ years of remote work
- @thockin’s long thread with tons of info
- randomfrankp’s room tours - this youtuber does video tours of people’s workstation/gaming setups, awesome for getting inspiration and set up ideas.
- Bugfender.com’s tips
- Marko Saric’s How to Thrive Working from Home
- Hacker News thread - lots of tips here
- Gitlab’s Guide to Remote Work <-- this one is awesome!
- Remote with warning: How to adapt and thrive as a suddenly-remote company - Here’s a gitlab livestream from the other day, lots of useful info here too
- https://github.com/lukasz-madon/awesome-remote-job <-- an awesome-style repo of links, tons of content there.
- Zoom’s recommended hardware - these are speakerphones and headsets that have dedicated interfaces into Zoom. (aka, hitting mute on them will mute the client directly.)
- Ashley McNamara’s work-from-home Shopping List
- Chris Short’s list of podcasting equipment - - which also works great for everyday Zoom meetings. (I have this same kit, as does @joe)
- Uplift standing desks
- Jarvis standing legs - you just add your own table top to this. I got a premade Ikea kitchen countertop and just added it to the top. Ikea also sells premade desk/table tops, but the kitchen counters have more finish options.