A bachelor degree with Kubernetes and Windows

To cut it short

We are doing a bachelor degree on kubernetes with windows containers, working for about 2 weeks now and have found that life is a lot easier with linux.

We use azure, and have tried AKS and manually building it from the ground up.

Have one question.

With AKS you need to use virtual kubelet for windows containers, that work fine, but i am not getting any metrics from the virtual node, or from the deployment/pods. Is this common? Without this how can i use horizontal pod autoscaler?

We are trying to manually make a kubernetes cluster with an external load balancer (azure), but theres alot of NATing going on and stuff so thought i should check here with AKS first to see whats the dealio.

Thanks in advance for your help

• Henrik

Do a search for the word metrics in the code for virtual-kubelet. As there are not many hits, you should be able to investigate the issue yourselves as part of your BSc work. From my quick glance, it seems that you should at the very least be able to get Pod metrics from it. Perhaps you need to unblock a port in some firewall?

We have already did that, thank you.

From the current issue on github, it seems to be a problem that pods running on virtual kubelet nodes either linux or windows arent being able to show metrics. Its not just the kubernetes dashboard that shows 0% cpu and mem, its also the container instance in Azure.

Ports are wide open, for demoing purposes

for example this one; https://github.com/virtual-kubelet/virtual-kubelet/issues/408
“Blank CPU is due to the limitation that ACI for Windows doesn’t report metrics”

Just wanted to verify if this is the case.