Helm advice regarding subcharts

Hi All,

I’ve been tasked with trying to host an app written in Molecular where the back-end has multiple services which all communicate to each other over a redis transport layer.

I’ve dockerized everything but now looking to host the app on K8s using Helm.

The problem I’m currently facing is trying to have the api gateway service as the main chart and put the other service modules as sub-charts so that when I carry out the helm upgrade install, they are all built together.

I’ve uploaded the example structure to my github repo, see: code/api at main · jpip26/code · GitHub I think my main issue is how to manage multiple service.yaml files without the install complaining that there is already a service with that name created. I’ve worked out that I can name one of the subchart services with something like .Values.service-a.port, but need advice on the best way to declare this in the main charts values.yaml file.

If there is a better helm template to use, please let me know, I’ve only really used the one shared in the repo as it’s worked fine for other apps i’ve set up - but haven’t had to set up an app with multiple dependant services before…

Any guidance appreciated!

Cheers

J

Cluster information:

Kubernetes version: 1.16.13
Helm version: 3.1.1
Cloud being used: (put bare-metal if not on a public cloud) Azure KAAS
Installation method: via cli or gitlab-ci
Host OS: MacOS
CNI and version: Unsure where to confirm
CRI and version: Unsure where to confirm