How to add ingress to access ClusterIP with authentication?

Cluster information:

Kubernetes version: 1.14.8-gke.12
Cloud being used: GKE

Installed pods

I have installed DGraph usings its helm charts and that keeps all services internally as ClusterIP. That makes sense because the database has only very basic security. After the setup, I got the following pods:

web goci-dgraph-alpha ClusterIP 10.126.9.214 8080/TCP,9080/TCP
web goci-dgraph-alpha-headless ClusterIP None 7080/TCP
web goci-dgraph-ratel ClusterIP 10.126.10.114 8000/TCP
web goci-dgraph-zero ClusterIP 10.126.2.66 5080/TCP,6080/TCP
web goci-dgraph-zero-headless ClusterIP None 5080/TCP

I can port-forward locally and acces the DB & console like so:

kubectl port-forward dgraph-alpha-0 8080
kubectl port-forward dgraph-ratel 8000

That stuff works.

However, now I need an ingress controller to access the alpha & ratel node from the outside world that that is where the headache starts.

First, I made a TLS secret like so:

$ openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout tls.key -out tls.crt -subj “/CN=nginxsvc/O=nginxsvc”

$ kubectl create secret tls tls-secret --key tls.key --cert tls.crt

Next, I wrote an ingress.yaml like so:

And I added a service.yaml like so:

Then, I added an A record to the domain so that it points to the public IP of the LoadBalancer.

However, this doesn’t work and I get no connect to the ingress.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, this is not about exposing the DB & Console through ingress, but ultimately about adding TLS & authenication because to secure the DB while ensuring external access. Any help is most welcome. TIA

Hi

I’m not sure if I understand your setup but the last service.yaml is likely wrong. You have nginx-k8s/deployment.yaml where you install the Ingress controller and expose it as Service/LoadBalancer. Then you have ingress.yaml with the ssl certs which should be read by the nginx-controller and these domains should be added. But service.yaml is not necessary and it probably replaces Service created from deployment.yaml (the same name and namespace). You don’t need it at all. So try to remove service.yaml and redeploy your manifests. I hope it’ll help.

Thanks a lot.

Essentially, I ended up using Kong as central ingress and that did the trick.
Setup & configuration is way faster & easier.