Looking for a good setup guide Kubernetes + Helm + Ingress

Hi All,

I’m new to Kubernetes so apologies if I’ve posted this in the wrong place.

Background

I need to setup an application that has been provided as a helm script, the install guide says I need a Kubernetes cluster with Helm and an Ingress.

I found some guides on installing Kubernetes cluster with Helm and followed them and appeared to be able to install the application I need however I can’t access it from outside the Kubernetes cluster

I found some guides to install an Ingress (I tried the nginx Ingress) but it wasn’t clear if it worked, I believe it didn’t because EXTERNAL-IP is still days later

I also setup a HA-Proxy vm but I wasn’t sure which Kubernetes nodes to point it to, I pointed to all in round robin but it didn’t work (503 Service Unavailable) which I think is related to on the EXTERNAL-IP

My Question

Is there a guide somewhere to setting up Kubernetes with an Ingress from scratch on your own servers that someone can recommend?

I’m currently using Ubuntu 20.04 servers for the Kubernetes, but rebuilding on a different distro is not a dealbreaker for me

Cluster information:

Kubernetes version:
Cloud being used: bare-metal
Installation method: apt-get
Host OS: Ubuntu 20.04 (I have no objection to changing this)
CNI and version: (not sure where to find this)
CRI and version: (not sure where to find this)

Dave.

I assume you figured it out in the meanwhile. In order to expose your cluster to the outside world you will ideally use an external load balancer. In the context of a cloud provider with the correct configuration this load balancer is automatically integrating with your ingress endpoint. For on-premises installments though you will need to play with exposing a nodePort and optionally connect it with an external loadbalancer. I was naively assuming that kubernetes node pools were easily capable of playing a load balancer themselves. As far as I understand this has never been and will never be a design goal of kubernetes.

Correct, it is not for k8s itself. There are various options out there that can do it though e.g. metallb