[Security Advisory] CVE-2022-3162: Unauthorized read of Custom Resources

Hello Kubernetes Community,

A security issue was discovered in Kubernetes where users authorized to list or watch one type of namespaced custom resource cluster-wide can read custom resources of a different type in the same API group without authorization.

This issue has been rated Medium (CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:N/A:N), and assigned CVE-2022-3162

Am I vulnerable?

Clusters are impacted by this vulnerability if all of the following are true:

1. There are 2+ CustomResourceDefinitions sharing the same API group

2. Users have cluster-wide list or watch authorization on one of those custom resources.

3. The same users are not authorized to read another custom resource in the same API group.

Affected Versions- Kubernetes kube-apiserver <= v1.25.3

• Kubernetes kube-apiserver <= v1.24.7

• Kubernetes kube-apiserver <= v1.23.13

• Kubernetes kube-apiserver <= v1.22.15

How do I mitigate this vulnerability?

Upgrading the kube-apiserver to a fixed version mitigates this vulnerability.

Prior to upgrading, this vulnerability can be mitigated by avoiding granting cluster-wide list and watch permissions.

Fixed Versions- Kubernetes kube-apiserver v1.25.4

• Kubernetes kube-apiserver v1.24.8

• Kubernetes kube-apiserver v1.23.14

• Kubernetes kube-apiserver v1.22.16

These releases will be published over the course of today, November 10th.

Detection

Requests containing .. in the request path are a likely indicator of exploitation. Request paths may be captured in API audit logs, or in kube-apiserver HTTP logs.

If you find evidence that this vulnerability has been exploited, please contact security@kubernetes.io

Additional Details

See the GitHub issue for more details: https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/113756

Acknowledgements

This vulnerability was reported by Richard Turnbull of NCC Group as part of the Kubernetes Audit.

Thank You,

Tim Allclair on behalf of the Kubernetes Security Response Committee