The best Linux OS for K8s When CentOS is dead

Hi every one!

RedHat announce CentOS 8 is discontinuous from 2021 and CentOS 7 is 2024.

So, What’s the best Linux OS for K8s If CentOS is dead?

Many thanks for any opinion!

There really isn’t a best choice. There are different pros and cons and what you and your organization wants to support.

I wasn’t a fan of CentOS before because of the very old kernel :stuck_out_tongue: , but some people value that stability more.

I like container optimized distros such as flatcar (fork of CoreOS container linux). They are more opinionated, but also more secure by being very limited in design.

2 Likes

Thanks Mr,
How do you think about COS (container-optimized OS) and traditional linux for K8s? What’s the type of OS should be used for K8s?
I think traditional linux is more flexible with changing. For example: When K8s is discontinous support docker runtime, We can move to another runtime as cri-o faster than COS (I think so).
I hope can listen your opinion.
Thank You so much!

Exactly, you may or may not want that. Personally I prefer container OSes since it’s a single purpose, the entire instance is there to run K8s, there’s no need for an entire full distribution.

When K8s is discontinous support docker runtime

There’s a year until removal, I would guess by the time this is an actual issue for people it will be sorted unless you’re on an old OS, even then I would expect the Red Hat-family of distros to default to CRI-O anyway if they haven’t already. Here’s the inprogress bug for flatcar: K8s 1.20 docker deprecation: simplify use of containerd for k8s · Issue #284 · flatcar/Flatcar · GitHub

1 Like