ExpandInUsePersistentVolumes

Asking for help? Comment out what you need so we can get more information to help you!

Cluster information:

Kubernetes version: 1.14
Cloud being used: EKS
Installation method: Terraform
Host OS: Amazon Linux 2
CNI and version: amazon-k8s-cni:v1.5.1
CRI and version:

Hello,

I am trying to enable ExpandInUsePersistentVolumes via --feature-gates but the option has no effect and I cant figure out why.

Here are the steps I did fallow:

• I did enable on storage class “AllowVolumeExpansion: True”
  • logged on nodes and via kubelet I did enable ExpandInUsePersistentVolumes “kubelet --feature-gates=ExpandInUsePersistentVolumes=true”

I did extend one pvc but instead to make the resize is waiting for pod restart

Type                      Status  LastProbeTime                     LastTransitionTime                Reason  Message
  ----                      ------  -----------------                 ------------------                ------  -------
  FileSystemResizePending   True    Mon, 01 Jan 0001 00:00:00 +0000   Mon, 14 Oct 2019 11:38:28 +0300           Waiting for user to (re-)start a pod to finish file system resize of volume on node.

I did restart kubelet, same behavior.

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, with managed services like EKS or GKE, you do not have the ability to enable or disable feature gates. They are enabled on the master that we don’t have access to.

Some platforms (like GKE) do have alpha clusters with more experimental features enabled and most do enable beta features.

@nirajtolia Thank you! This is clearing the picture.