Helm not seeing KubeContext, KubeToken or KubeAPIServer?

Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum or category, its been a bit of a struggletown with this one and Im not sure where to reach out.

Cluster information:

Kubernetes version: Unsure but not sure if its relevant
Cloud being used: Bare metal
Installation method: Chocolaty
Host/“Client” OS: Windows
Helm Client (Latest)
Helm on K8s: Helm 2.x something (not sure if relevant.

I’m pretty new to helm but it seems I’m having some configuration issues. I set up a VM (as I thought it was just an issue with my personal station).

I’ve followed the basic setups for setup on the helm and microsoft kubectl pages. Im running it all through powershell (admin mode).

I’ve done the following.

• Kubectl works perfect, and I have added one of my clusters using the az aks get-credentials command
  • Kubectl is in C:\kubectl . I have a PATH variable pointing to “C:\kubectl”
  • I added a system variable called KUBECONFIG -> C:\Users\username.kube\config (actual file)

Output from helm env

HELM_BIN="C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\lib\kubernetes-helm\tools\windows-amd64\helm.exe"
HELM_CACHE_HOME="C:\Users\942892\AppData\Local\Temp\helm"
HELM_CONFIG_HOME="C:\Users\942892\AppData\Roaming\helm"
HELM_DATA_HOME="C:\Users\942892\AppData\Roaming\helm"
HELM_DEBUG="false"
HELM_KUBEAPISERVER=""
HELM_KUBECONTEXT=""
HELM_KUBETOKEN=""
HELM_NAMESPACE="default"
HELM_PLUGINS="C:\Users\942892\AppData\Roaming\helm\plugins"
HELM_REGISTRY_CONFIG="C:\Users\942892\AppData\Roaming\helm\registry.json"
HELM_REPOSITORY_CACHE="C:\Users\942892\AppData\Local\Temp\helm\repository"
HELM_REPOSITORY_CONFIG="C:\Users\942892\AppData\Roaming\helm\repositories.yaml"

When I do helm list (with any namespace and I know there are definitely releases / charts deployed) I get nothing).

It looks like it cant see my configuration.

1 Like

This is also happening to me on mac. When I use helm directly (even after microk8s config > ~/.kube/config), it isn’t finding the microk8s cluster.

Making this worse, I cannot use the wrapped microk8s helm with -f values.yaml because the file isn’t found in the vm when helm is executed there. So can’t use helm on mac because helm can’t find the context, and I can’t use it with microk8s because it doesn’t have my filesystem for arguments.