Kubernetes cluster unreachable: exec plugin: invalid apiVersion "client.authentication.k8s.io/v1alpha1"

Asking for help? Comment out what you need so we can get more information to help you!

while executing following command
helm install ingress-nginx ingress-nginx/ingress-nginx

shows the following error
Error: INSTALLATION FAILED: Kubernetes cluster unreachable: exec plugin: invalid apiVersion “client.authentication.k8s.io/v1alpha1

1 Like

I am having the same issue with Terraform trying to install helm charts to kubernetes v.1.24:

Error: Kubernetes cluster unreachable: Get "my-cluster": getting credentials: decoding stdout: no kind "ExecCredential" is registered for version "client.authentication.k8s.io/v1alpha1" in scheme "pkg/runtime/scheme.go:100"
1 Like

Bet you meant client.authentication.k8s.io/v1beta1. The v1alpha1 version has been gone for a while.

Are there any possible issues or configuration changes needed when switching from v1alpha1 to v1beta1?

If there is, I am not aware. Schema has been compatible enough to just change the version in the kube config in my experience.

1 Like

For those stucked here, make sure to update your awscli to latest and update your apiVersion URL to latest.

Currently is apiVersion: client.authentication.k8s.io/v1beta1

I get the below error, Any steps to debug ?

getting credentials: exec plugin is configured to use API version client.authentication.k8s.io/v1beta1, plugin returned version client.authentication.k8s.io/v1alpha1'