Looks like I was able to install Kubernetes

What now ? Do I need to run the VM it created in VirtualBox ?

Awesome!

What are you looking to do?

If you’re just starting out the Linux Foundation has a free course on edX I found really helpful when starting out, https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-kubernetes .

If you’re looking for something more in depth the tasks they give on Tasks - Kubernetes are really great.

Awesome Kubernetes is also a great resource for guides and articles, https://github.com/ramitsurana/awesome-kubernetes .

What are the default login, password, hostname for the VM the installation created ? Is the Linux VM with a GUI or just Command Line once I login ?

You be interacting with it via the cli, kubectl. Minikube should have dropped the right configs into $HOME/.kube/config

https://kubernetes.io/docs/tasks/tools/install-kubectl/

To enable the k8s dashboard in minikube, see here Running Kubernetes Locally via Minikube - Kubernetes

Do I need to open the VM in Virtual Box and login directly to it there ?

When I opened the dashboard in my browser, I was not able to run “kubectl get nodes” .

what error is kubectl giving you?

First question: Do I need to login here ? if so, what is the login, password, hostname ?

If I dont have to login, I assume I just interact with through the terminal with ‘minikube’ and ‘kubectl’ ?

you shouldn’t need to do that. If you have kubectl install you should be able to use powershell/cmd to use it and interact with the cluster.

Once minikube start completes you can run kubectl get nodes to confirm it’s good to go. The output should be similar to this (ignore the hyperkit part I’m on a mac), also have kubectl aliased to k

minikube start --vm-driver hyperkit
😄  minikube v1.0.0 on darwin (amd64)
🤹  Downloading Kubernetes v1.14.0 images in the background ...
🔥  Creating hyperkit VM (CPUs=2, Memory=2048MB, Disk=20000MB) ...
📶  "minikube" IP address is 192.168.64.24
🐳  Configuring Docker as the container runtime ...
🐳  Version of container runtime is 18.06.2-ce
⌛  Waiting for image downloads to complete ...
✨  Preparing Kubernetes environment ...
🚜  Pulling images required by Kubernetes v1.14.0 ...
🚀  Launching Kubernetes v1.14.0 using kubeadm ...
⌛  Waiting for pods: apiserver proxy etcd scheduler controller dns
🔑  Configuring cluster permissions ...
🤔  Verifying component health .....
💗  kubectl is now configured to use "minikube"
🏄  Done! Thank you for using minikube!

~
▶ k get nodes
NAME       STATUS   ROLES    AGE   VERSION
minikube   Ready    master   98s   v1.14.0

is ‘Hyperkit’ a Mac OS only hyper visor ? like Parallels or VM Ware Fusion ?

Ya it’s an alternative vm.

Is it pre-installed, or does minikube or kubectl install it ? or does it need to be installed via a .exe from the web or homebrew ?

Or the app store ?

I installed it through homebrew

There is a list in the getting started with minikube docs Running Kubernetes Locally via Minikube - Kubernetes

When I open the dashboard, I lose the command line prompt.

You can always open a new powershell window or if powershell lets you run it in the background. The command would like this on the linux/mac side of things.
minikube dashboard &

This is the error I was talking about.

Ahh think I see you’re problem you’re using v1.4.0 of kubectl. Upgrade that and the problems should be fixed. Here’s a link to the windows install methods, Install Minikube - Kubernetes

Looks good. Thanks.

Do I have to go through all steps to get things started in the morning, or is a there a shortcut / timesaver to just jump right back where I left off the night before