MicroK8s is a Kubernetes cluster delivered as a single snap package - it can be installed on any Linux distribution which supports snaps, as well as macOS and Windows. With a quick install, easy upgrades and great security, MicroK8s is perfect for micro clouds and edge computing. Try it!
snap install microk8s --classic --channel=1.26/stable
The evolution of the addon ecosystem continues to strengthen MicroK8s. The following addons are new in the 1.26 release under the community repo:
- ondat: Run stateful workloads at scale.
- sosivio: Next Generation Kubernetes Security made easy.
- gopaddle: Provision multi-cloud clusters, dockerise applications, deploy, monitor and build DevOps pipelines within a fraction of time.
- KWasm: Tooling for cloud-native WebAssembly.
Core addons are Kubernetes services shipped with MicroK8s and supported by Canonical Kubernetes. MicroK8s 1.26 extends the core addon ecosystem with the introduction of MinIO: high-performance, S3 compatible object storage.
MicroK8s bootstrap and control plane CAPI providers for AMD64 and ARM64. Clusters deployed with Cluster API benefit from features such as; automatic and frictionless patch-level upgrades, a comprehensive set of addons to ease the cluster deployment and operations, as well as the ability to deploy any Kubernetes version with ease.
EKS-D is a Kubernetes distribution with extended support used by Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS). New tracks have been introduced to accommodate all EKS-D releases: 1.22, 1.23 and 1.24. For example, get the 1.24 release with:
snap install microk8s --classic --channel=1.24-eksd/stable
The EKS-D tracks bundle the extra patches from the EKS Distro as well as various addons for storage and authentication, offering a similar experience to EKS with all the added benefits of MicroK8s.
Most important updates since the last release:
Kubernetes core services
- Code quality improvements in the ClusterAPI providers thanks to @oscr
- ClusterAPI support for RBAC management clusters
- ClusterAPI providers for both AMD64 and ARM64 architectures
- Removing the Calico interfaces when removing the snap
- Introducing launch configurations for the strict snap
- etcd upgraded to v3.5
- CoreDNS uses the host’s resolv.conf to find the forward DNS servers
- Fixed the dashboard-proxy command on Windows and macOS, thank you @doggy8088
- Minor improvements to management of the ‘microk8s’ group, thank you @barrettj12
- Improved search for kubelet tokens, thank you @ortegarenzy
- OpenEBS addon updated to 3.3.x, thank you @zacbayhan
- Improved observability for multi-node clusters, thank you @MrRoundRobin
- K8s services alerting in the observability addon, thank you @dud225
- Scheduler and controller prometheus scraping, thank you @plomosits
- osm-edge version upgrade to v1.1.2 along with a new command
microk8s osm, thank you @naqvis
- Starboard addon renamed to Trivy, thank you @AnaisUrlichs
- New addon, gopaddle. Try it with
microk8s enable gopaddle-lite. Thank you @renugadevi-2613.
- New minio addon, try it with
microk8s enable minio
- New ondat addon, try it with
microk8s enable ondat. Thank you @hubvu
- KWASM.sh addon, a container runtime for WebAssembly workloads, give it a try with
microk8s enable kwasm. Thank you @0xE282B0.
- New community addon sosivio, try it with
microk8s enable sosivio. Courtesy of @DanArlowski and the sosivio team.
- Istio upgraded to v1.15.3, thank you @Azuna1
- NVIDIA GPU operator upgraded to 22.9.0
Users following the latest stable MicroK8s track will be automatically upgraded to v1.26 in the next few days. Those who want to upgrade their existing clusters can follow the instructions in our docs. Remember, to call
sudo microk8s addons repo update <repo_name> on the addon repositories you would like to fetch updates for.
For more information on MicroK8s consult the official docs, and to contribute to the project, check out the repo at GitHub - canonical/microk8s: MicroK8s is a small, fast, single-package Kubernetes for developers, IoT and edge., or chat with us on the Kubernetes Slack, in the #microk8s channel!