Pod in hostNetwork - service availability over cluster

Hello,

I have a Pod which must run within hostNetwork: https://hub.docker.com/r/dreamcat4/iscsi/
However, I want to have it available through the whole cluster - for all running containers.
My actual definition is:

---                                                                                                                                  
kind: Service                                                                                                                        
apiVersion: v1                                                                                                                       
metadata:                                                                                                                            
  name: iscsi-provisioning                                                                                                           
spec:                                                                                                                                
  selector:                                                                                                                          
    app: iscsi-provisioning                                                                                                          
  type: NodePort                                                                                                                     
  ports:                                                                                                                             
    - name: iscsi                                                                                                                    
      port: 3260                                                                                                                     
      targetPort: 3260                                                                                                               
---                                                                                                                               
kind: Deployment                                                                                                                     
apiVersion: apps/v1                                                                                                                  
metadata:                                                                                                                            
  name: iscsi-provisioning                                                                                                           
spec:                                                                                                                                
  replicas: 1                                                                                                                        
  selector:                                                                                                                          
   matchLabels:                                                                                                                      
  template:
    metadata:
      labels:
    spec:
      hostNetwork: true
      containers:
        - name: iscsi-provisioning
          image: dreamcat4/iscsi
          ports:
              containerPort: 3260
              protocol: TCP
          volumeMounts:
              mountPath: /iscsi/targets
              subPath: targets
          securityContext:
            privileged: true
      volumes:
          iscsi:
            targetPortal: "172.9.10.254:3260"
            iqn: "iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-212:iscsi.mbr.d55afc"
            lun: 1 
            fsType: ext4
            readOnly: false

The result:

$ kubectl get services
NAME                 TYPE        CLUSTER-IP      EXTERNAL-IP   PORT(S)          AGE
iscsi-provisioning   NodePort    10.105.92.149   <none>        3260:32417/TCP   3d
kubernetes           ClusterIP   10.96.0.1       <none>        443/TCP          3d

# iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p 10.105.92.149 | grep 200
192.168.253.51:3260,1 iqn.0000-00.dkr.iscsi:200
172.17.0.1:3260,1 iqn.0000-00.dkr.iscsi:200
10.244.2.0:3260,1 iqn.0000-00.dkr.iscsi:200
10.244.2.1:3260,1 iqn.0000-00.dkr.iscsi:200

What about the service-definition? Would you do it like above or is there a better definition? Should I use a fix IP for the service? I am looking forward to read your suggestions.

Thanks!

This may not exactly be what you’re looking for, but have you thought about using the iscsi volume driver for Kubernetes?

Yes, that will be the next step for me to evaluate. However, if the “real” storage is not under my control, I will not be able to create LUNs directly on the storage. Having a one-node iscsi-Host would be another single-point-of-failure.

So I thought about creating the luns within the container - what you see in my config.

Just thought about combining this with PVCs - but that does not change the required network-connection of the iscsi-container.