PV Migration feasibility

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone suggest about migration feasibility of flexVolume and flocker to cloud platform or between cluster?

Migrating PVs is something you generally have to handle manually outside of kubernetes. The most platform independent way Iā€™ve seen is to essentially attach a pod that tars up the volume to send it some place where you can untar it on a fresh PV in another cluster.

Adding to that, velero has a beta feature to back it un and restore (never tried it). Maybe that is useful?

In any case, Iā€™m very interested in what you find! Please share, Iā€™m specially curious about if any tool out there has an easy way to configure like ā€œlive replicationā€(async or sync) from one PV in one cluster to another PV in another cluster

1 Like

Ahh, nice. I thought velero only worked on AWS. Looks like it supports a lot more now!

Heptio-Velero 1.1 version has the capability to migrate block data to AWS and even GKE . You can backup and restore GKE using Heptio Velero. It is already been tested. It uses snapshot technology.
But now I am looking for some tool which can migrate my PV Block volume (eg EBS) to another cloud platform , not using snapshot technology and but should be in real time .

Iā€™m not familiar to any live migration way for data, but seems this talk due una few days might be interesting: https://cfp.cloud-native.rejekts.io/cloud-native-rejekts-na-2019/talk/SUAAY7/