Upgrade a group of services - All or None

Hi,
We are planning to deploy our services in pods. We have around 7 services, we want each of them to be deployed in individual pods so that they can scale independently. Following are a couple of questions which are holding us back at the moment:

1. During upgrade, can we ensure that either all or none of the services are upgraded?
  2. When a new version is available in the docker registry (ECR), can we ask the user whether to upgrade or not?

Regards,
Jayanta

Hi!

1. There is no kubernetes primitive to manage a set of different deployment objects (are you talking about different kubernetes deployment objects, right?). You can do a script to handle it yourself, specially if the upgrade is easy (like run kubectl set-image for several deployments, or run it again with the old version if something fails). Does it make sense?

2. Not sure I follow. What do you mean if you can ask users to upgrade or not? Can you please elaborate?

Thanks!

Rodrigo

Thanks Rodrigo for your quick response.

1. Yes, I’m talking about different deployment objects.

2. Ours is a product deployed per customer in their respective VPC in AWS. In the current version, we have a UI screen where we present an option to the user to select whether she/he wants to upgrade. When we move to kubernetes, can we provide such an option to the user so that he/she can choose whether to go ahead with upgrade or remain in the current version of the service?

Regards,
Jayanta

1. Upgrade what? You application? Yes, of course you can upgrade an application :slight_smile: or am I missing something?

Upgrade only when user gives consent, not upgrade automatically whenever a new version of the service pushed to the registry.

Following is the automatic upgrade workflow we are looking for:
Build server pushes a new version of the service to docker registry with appropriate tags. User is presented with a yes/no question in the app UI. If user says “yes”, then upgrade, else don’t upgrade.

That should be totally possible, yes :slight_smile: