Guidance needed: Moving an AWS Fargate service to k8s

I’d like to prototype moving an existing AWS Fargate based service to kubernetes. Just looking for a tutorial/class/walkthrough/etc that goes through a very basic implementation with a starting point being an existing Fargate service.

Is this an appropriate forum to ask for such guidance?

This doesn’t appear to be a simple task of “just do X tasks and you get Y outputs”. Migrating from platform to platform requires understanding the application and the two platforms involved.

Guidance-wise, if you can deploy, backup, and restore a similar app on both platforms; that would probably be a good starting point for you knowledge-wise.

Pick something you know very will to work with for the exercise. For me I would typically do a LAMP stack with Wordpress installed because it’s something I could throw together on a single server in a matter of minutes and I understand it extremely well after seeing millions of these deployed in my early career.

Thank you. My hope was that I could jumpstart the usual learning process by reviewing an effort that someone else had already done. I fully expect that there will be plenty to adjust beyond the basics.

As a different approach, is there any known-awesome guidance on getting started with kubernetes in AWS? I’d prefer not to use the AWS guidance provided by Amazon, because they tend to have an Amazon-y way of doing things, and a huge driver for my interest in kubernetes is to reduce lock-in on a particular cloud.

If you’re aiming to just learn how to use the platform, it’s fine to get a managed Kubernetes cluster up. The beauty of it is that once it’s up, you’re doing your business the Kubernetes way with kubectl, helm, etc.

Once you have a managed cluster up and you’ve gotten your kube config and have kubectl to manage the cluster, I would recommend going through Concepts | Kubernetes section. One of my favorite starting points are the “Workloads”.

There’s also other options for learning Kubernetes that don’t cost anything if you have a reasonably powerful computer to leverage. Personally I’m pretty lazy and I just use Docker for Desktop and enable Kubernetes in the settings.

The above mentioned is pretty much what most people need to know. Actually administrating a cluster is not necessary for most of the people I’ve ever talked with. Though knowing how to deploy and troubleshoot a cluster is very useful.

It is just my opinion, but kubeadm is the gold standard for managing a cluster. Though you also have what are like other “distros”, such as microk8s and k3s.

I’ve found k3s to be very simple and easy to get started with and eventually graduate up to something like kubeadm later. One problem with k3s is you don’t get to see mirror pods for the api-server and whatnot. So you can easily find yourself lacking some knowledge if you only ever use k3s.