How do you keep up with Kubernetes?

Hello all :wave:

I have published a list of resources I use to keep up with Kubernetes and wanted to share.

I am curious if there are gems that others are using that are not on this list.
If so, share it and I’d love to add it to the list and give you a shout-out.

5 Likes

Oooh, this is a nice set of resources!

It really belongs on our new contributor site. I’ll ping you about adding it there when we’re ready to accept it.

3 Likes

Hi @jberkus - I’m glad you enjoyed these resources. I keep finding and adding new stuff. Would love to contribute it to the new contributor site.

We have what we call a “contributor cheatsheet” in place: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/contributors/guide/contributor-cheatsheet.md

Though I’m not sure how many of those things that are interesting to contributors would be as interesting to users and the other way around, I suspect there’s an overlap.

Or maybe we could just make it a “Resources and News” page or something like that, would you be willing to be the maintainer? I’d be happy to sponsor/review you through the process.

1 Like

Hi @castrojo,

Though I’m not sure how many of those things that are interesting to contributors would be as interesting to users and the other way around, I suspect there’s an overlap.

I agree with you. I don’t know if these resources belong to a “contributor cheatsheet” page.
More so, I believe these resources would be of interest/value to a wider audience.

Or maybe we could just make it a “Resources and News” page or something like that, would you be willing to be the maintainer?

This sounds like a great idea. I would absolutely love to be the maintainer of something like this.
Perhaps, a “Resources” folder just under kubernetes/community repo? Are there rules or special considerations about including vendor-specific resources (e.g. Tigera, CoreOS, Cilium, DataWire, Rook, WeaveWorks …etc)?

Hoping to not create new things in the root but we can start with communication/resources perhaps? We can link to it directly from the front page of the contributor portal to give it more visibility while keeping the repo neat(er).

Generally speaking we try to keep the upstream repo upstream, however if something is useful to the community it’s useful. I tend to play it by ear a bit, for example on this site the main rule is “keep it classy” and generally people understand what that means. We should think a bit harder if something is in the upstream repo, but given how many people are constantly asking how better to keep track of what’s happening in the project I think it’s worth trying it out!

When you draft a PR up quick guidance on the top of the doc to make it clear how submissions, etc. would be handled, then we can bounce drafts back and forth with SIG Contributor Experience until we find something that feels right. Put a /sig contributor-experience and /assign @castrojo in your PR and I’ll check it out first thing Monday!

We should also encourage things that might be offtopic to submit to something like awesome-kubernetes; that way people still have a place to go!