MicroK8s clustering - preview

We have been busy adding a new and exciting feature to MicroK8s. You can now join two or more deployments to form a cluster! A preview release is available for you to test-drive and give us your feedback. Here is how to setup a MicroK8s cluster:

On two or more machines install MicroK8s from the 1.15/edge/clustering channel:

sudo snap install microk8s --classic --channel=1.15/edge/clustering

One of these machines will act as the master, hosting the control plane. On that machine, run the following command for each node you want to add:

sudo microk8s.add-node

The microk8s.add-node will generate a connection string in the form of <master_ip>:<port>/<token> and will prompt you to use the microk8s.join command from the node joining the cluster. For instance, a join command instructing a node to form a cluster with the master may look like:

microk8s.join 10.55.60.14:25000/JHpbBYMlevZSAMnmjMHmFwanrOYCWZLu

After a few seconds you should be able to see the new node on the master with:

microk8s.kubectl get no

Just repeat this microk8s.add-node and microk8s.join cycle for each node you are adding.

To remove a node, on the master you have to:

sudo microk8s.remove <node-name>

And on the node side you can run:

sudo microk8s.leave

Let us know what you think, either by opening an issue at https://github.com/ubuntu/microk8s, or chat with us on the Kubernetes Slack, in the #microk8s channel. Read more on MicroK8s at https://microk8s.io/.

1 Like

The demo channel --channel=1.15/edge/clustering has been removed. Clustering is now available on all 1.16+ releases. Try:

sudo snap instal lmcirok8s --classic --channel=1.16/stable
1 Like

there’s a typo mistake:
sudo snap install microk8s --classic --channel=1.16/stable

@kjackal do we need to use calico or flannel for pod networking as it’s mandatory for making cluster especially when you create master and worker using VMs.
does microk8s do this networking thing automatically??

and secondly can we customize the default ingress addon in microk8s??

MicroK8s takes care of setting up all the networking among nodes and the master; it uses flannel to do so.

You can microk8s.enable ingress and then microk8s.kubectl edit any ingress related resource you wish.

I have been playing with the feature, and if I understand the situation correctly, the master node will only run the control plane, and won’t be aued for scheduling.

I understand this is a sensible setup, but is there an option to make the master node actually run a kubelet?

This is not correct. The master node runs kubelet and is able to host workloads. It is up to the administrator to shape the scheduling using k8s options.

Apologies, there was a problem on my end. The master node had a computer name with illegal characters in it (an underscore). This causes kubelet to fail to launch, so the master node did not show up in the list of nodes.

I have realised this when I have reinstalled the OS and bumped into the same issue on K3S. On K3S the error was:

Apr 01 18:10:36 nuci3_4th k3s[2136]: I0401 18:10:36.534710    2136 kubelet_node_status.go:294] Setting node annotation to enable volume controller attach/detach
Apr 01 18:10:36 nuci3_4th k3s[2136]: I0401 18:10:36.535947    2136 kubelet_node_status.go:70] Attempting to register node nuci3_4th
Apr 01 18:10:36 nuci3_4th k3s[2136]: E0401 18:10:36.541608    2136 kubelet_node_status.go:92] Unable to register node "nuci3_4th" with API server: Node "nuci3_4th" is invalid: metadata.name: Invalid value: "nuci3_4th": a DNS-1123 subdomain must consist of lower case alphanumeric characters, '-' or '.', and must start and end with an alphanumeric character (e.g. 'example.com', regex us
Apr 01 18:10:36 nuci3_4th k3s[2136]: E0401 18:10:36.605614    2136 kubelet.go:2263] node "nuci3_4th" not found

Is it possible to use a domain name for joining, not an IP address?

You could try that by replacing the IP in the endpoint provided by microk8s.add-node with the dns entry of the master node.

What is a recommended setup for a clustered microk8s? Are there any best practices for creating such a cluster?

I am looking for a solution for creating my own public cloud based on the following scenario: Failover IP -> 2-3 vps/root servers. Could I achieve with microk8s a HA clustered Kubernetes environment?

Thanks for this feature! It makes it really easy to deploy a small cluster to learn Kubernetes.

I’ve created 3 VM’s (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) using multipass and installed microk8s (using snap) on each of them. One is designated as the master and 2 as the workers. After the workers are joined, I’m seeing the following output:

ubuntu@kmaster:~$ kubectl get no
NAME       STATUS   ROLES    AGE   VERSION
kmaster    Ready    <none>   10h   v1.18.2-41+b5cdb79a4060a3
kworker1   Ready    <none>   10h   v1.18.2-41+b5cdb79a4060a3
kworker2   Ready    <none>   10h   v1.18.2-41+b5cdb79a4060a3

The role of the kmaster is <none>. Shouldn’t that be “master”?

I’m new to MicroK8s as well, but my understanding is that the master isn’t tainted (ie, marked as master) so that it can still act as a worker and participate in sharing the workload. Normally in a K8s cluster the master doesn’t run workload.

Late to this thread, but I have installed clustering on Raspberry Pi 4, but the system is very heavily loaded and I would like to understand why. As I am not a performance guru and don’t know what is going on with etcd and so on, perhaps we can discuss here or in another thread?

Hi @dixon1e,

Could you open an issue at https://github.com/ubuntu/microk8s/issues attaching the microk8s.inspect tarball of each of your nodes (or only the affected) and also discuss how the cluster feels heavy (is it high CPU which process. Some other resource is affected, eg memory usage)?

Thank you.

Hi. Should microk8s clustering work for multiple machines all using windows 10 WSL2 (ubuntu 20.04) on the same network? Also, can I add machines with microk8s running on mac os to this cluster?

Somebody did a MicroK8s cluster with wsl. It is a bit involved though.
Here’s the link https://wsl.dev/wsl2-microk8s/.

There is also a youtube video on it. https://www.google.com/search?q=microk8s+clustering+video+wsl2&oq=microk8s+clustering+video+wsl2&aqs=chrome..69i57.11100j0j7&client=ms-android-xiaomi&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#

To join a MicroK8s on mac looks possible as long as they see each other in the network.