A k8s newbie here. I’d read-around a bit about k8s several months back without much hands-on work, but trying to pickup where I left. I’m in the need of an offline learning environment, with an objective to learn also about multi-node clusters. Based on a bit of hurried reading around, I understand that while:
- Minikube distribution enables one to run a 1-node k8s cluster on localhost,
- MicroK8s distribution enables one to run a k8s cluster on localhost too, but potentially with multiple-nodes
It is the perceived claim about support of multiple-nodes in a k8s cluster that I am not so sure that I understood correctly. Even it is correct what all can be done with such a cluster, and whether it supports the notion of elasticity or not ?
At the microk8s.io website, I see statements that cause those doubts:
- “Single node Kubernetes done right”
- “It’s not elastic, but it is on rails”
- While I (think I) understand that microk8s enables ones to use a local development environment, offline – the k8s CLI appear to be prefixed with “microk8s.”. Is that a replacement of the kubectl CLI ? Does it mean that moving to k8s on Cloud will need some re-familiarization of another CLI ?
Thanks for bearing with my newbie questions.